colour question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
I have an 8 month old colt that i thought was a sorrel pinto when he was born but now he is so light in colour much more like a palomino pinto...

His dam is a siver buckskin pinto and sire is silver dapple..Is it more likely he is palomino not sorrel...His maine and tail are almost creamy white ..sorry i just cant post pictures could before but cant get the hang of it now ...

Hi Raine. If it is the colt I think it is on your website he looks very much as though he could be silver bay and white, that can often be mistaken for palomino, especially when all legs are white so you can't see the chocolate colour. I would suggest colour testing too if you want to be sure.

I was thinking silver bay too
default_yes.gif

If you are referring to "Little Red" on your site, he looks to be born sorrel, however, the reason he is lightening so much is because he is a true grey, which he inherited from his sire. On your site you say the sire is a silver dapple, and although it may be true that he carries silver, he is also very much a grey. When a horse carries both silver and grey, they will often grey out/turn white much faster than a grey without the addition of silver. I am guessing your colt carries both and is quickly greying.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to "Little Red" on your site, he looks to be born sorrel, however, the reason he is lightening so much is because he is a true grey, which he inherited from his sire. On your site you say the sire is a silver dapple, and although it may be true that he carries silver, he is also very much a grey. When a horse carries both silver and grey, they will often grey out/turn white much faster than a grey without the addition of silver. I am guessing your colt carries both and is quickly greying.
default_yes.gif
Ditto. This was my first thought too when I saw the pic of

Little Red".

Thanks everyone for your replys so far, the photos on my web site are of him a few months ago, he is very much lighter now, i will try tp put some up to date photos of him on there soon...

Silver bay ..yes i didnt think of that.... grey , could be possible , i will have to test him......thanks

Latest posts

Back