Colour Question+ Introduction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keater

Reaction score
Hiya! So basically, i've watched this forum/website for quite some time now.. since my mother and I first got minis in 2010, actually. I've always been too intimidated to make an account, though. But now that I have, I felt I should formally introduce myself.

I'm Keaton, 15 years old and my mother and I got into mini horses 3 years ago, and ever since then we've sort of been in too deep. No one warned me about the term "If you get one, you either won't have that one in a month, or you'll have 30 more the next time i see you". We started off with Three, and now we have 8. We live on 2 acres of land, the horses reside on one. It's plenty for them, and they seem to enjoy it and be quite happy with it. We do not show them, breed them, or drive them. They are simply 'hobby horses'. Although if I may say, a few have potential for anything.

My mom doesn't really mind too much about the colours of her horses, as shes older and they are just her hobby horses, as I said. But I on the other hand am completely obsessed with knowing what each and every one of their colours are. Well i've closed in and locked down on almost all of my horses colours, due to the fact that they are blatantly obvious: Silver bay, black pinto, silver pinto, sorrel pinto, appaloosa, bay, and palomino.

Buuuutt.... One horse i have yet to lock down on, our 9 y/o, 32'' Mare, Tori. Our head/boss mare.. leader of the herd. She's registered in the AMHA as a Grulla... but uh.. i've seen my fair share of grullas, and she isnt one. As a matter of fact, i'm not sure how they even got away with registering her as such. But oh well, idiots will be idiots, i suppose.

The ''problem'' with tori is that she changes colour. She's pitch black under her mane and on her legs, and when it's late summer-early fall, she turns pitch black, Like this:

qn5ngo.jpg

When she grows her winter coat, she goes a semi-dark brown with an orange tinted muzzle and eye area: (we still aren't sure what was going on with her face that year... that mark was there til she shed out!)

2mmv4w.jpg

In the early spring/summer, she sheds out very dark brown, black pretty much with Light orange around her Flank, Belly, "armpits'', Muzzle and joints:

34gv7tz.jpg

r0t3kl.jpg

Mid ways through summer, She gets a sort of.. brindle pattern on her chest and neck. Whilst the rest of her body has made it's way to a bay colour.. sooty bay maybe:

1izakw.jpg

(here you can see clearly the brindling pattern on her chest):

149cyzs.jpg

Now what i've always thought is that she was a smokey black, but now im thinking a seal bay/brown? Cause she never loses the mealy orange muzzle, it's just always there. Sometimes it turns to a mouse grey color late late fall.

No one really knows what color she was born, but they know that she's only ever thrown black foals.. from what i'm told anyways. I'd just really like to know for sure what colour she is.. just so it will stop getting me a headache when i see her. Sorry for dumping her all over you guys, but you are my last hopes, and i know how good you all are at picking colors apart!
default_smile.png
xx-

She looks a lot like my Smokey Black (tested) but others that are better with color will chime in I am sure. And, welcome to the forum miniature horses are like potato chips you can't have just one. I started out with 2 and have 6 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Keaton. We started with 3 as well and now after 8 years we have 35!!!

About color: can it be a smokey black and seal brown? We have seal brown stallion but he does not have the "lighter" hair in his years. But our smokey black mares do.

I'd lay money she is a Smoky Black BUT she could, just, be a very smutty Buckskin- it is cheap enough to test, why not do a poll, on here, then test her?

Thank you all very much for your input! It helps a whole bunch with my sanity
default_thumbup.gif

Glad to know that I was probably right about her colour all along, and i was just stressing myself for no reason. lol

Welcome to the forum! I can't answer to the color of your Tory (I have a "Tory" as well!)... Some of her colorations look like what I've seen with my black-bay Arab mare (not sure that that is a true color in Arabs, she's not color tested - but that is often what they are called by arab folk). I wonder if your mare could also be a "brown dun"?? I don't know how that coloration works, though...

And the one is a "ringer" for our 4 yr old dark silver dapple mare. She "fades" really weird compared to most of our other silver dapple ponies. She's tested as (Ee,aa,nZ) - heterozygous black, no bay agouti, 1 silver gene. I didn't have her tested for cream and wonder if I should have (thought her dam was a silver, but now think she may have been a palomino...). Also, the company I use doesn't test for "brown" and I wonder if it's possible our mare could have a "brown" gene. I'd have to dig - think there is still only one company that tests for brown. It ties into the agouti like bay does - with a different letter designation.

We'd love to see the rest of your horses.

Did you load the pictures in your original post directly from your computer? Have you started a photo album on line (Picasa, Photo Bucket, Snap Fish - think there are others)? That way you could post pictures there, and then direct us to your photos. Or check into doing an album here, now that you are a member, I believe you can.

Latest posts

Back