Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_ruby

Reaction score
I bought a 4/5 year old mare a few months ago, and she was a rescue so I don't have much background information on her, for example her parents which would help with this colour situation. When I bought her she still had her winter coat so these lighter markings did not show. However since her coat has shed I noticed the large patches of light brown and she also has some white spot type markings on her back. I was wondering if someone could help me out with what her colour may be? or if you think she may have pinto or appy in her? She also has striped hooves which I know is an appy characteristic as I had one in the past. Any comments or assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if she's a chimera. If you do a google search for 'chimera horse' you will find many pictures of horses with unusual markings/colour like her. I expect there is a test that could confirm chimerism since it is the result of 2 sets of dna

From what I see in the first picture when I enlarge it, she has lacing, which is very pretty, and may increase year after year.

I'm not seeing the striped hooves, since she's standing in the grass, and I'm not seeing any mottling. Does she have mottling anywhere on her muzzle, on her privates, her udder, etc? The striped hooves can also be related to pinto genes (yes, I've learned....), so maybe the patterning is affected by some pinto gene also. I don't really know much about pinto genes, but I'll be looking forward to answers from pinto breeders, so I can continue to learn!

She's a very pretty girl, however.

Interesting. I wonder if she's a chimera. If you do a google search for 'chimera horse' you will find many pictures of horses with unusual markings/colour like her. I expect there is a test that could confirm chimerism since it is the result of 2 sets of dna
thanks I will look into it!

From what I see in the first picture when I enlarge it, she has lacing, which is very pretty, and may increase year after year.

I'm not seeing the striped hooves, since she's standing in the grass, and I'm not seeing any mottling. Does she have mottling anywhere on her muzzle, on her privates, her udder, etc? The striped hooves can also be related to pinto genes (yes, I've learned....), so maybe the patterning is affected by some pinto gene also. I don't really know much about pinto genes, but I'll be looking forward to answers from pinto breeders, so I can continue to learn!

She's a very pretty girl, however.
her hooves are slightly striped not very noticeable, and there's no mottling. I don't know much about pinto either but I'm interested by the chimera and I'm going to look into it.

The white spots on her back I am guessing is Lacing, also called Giraffe Markings..... It is hereditary and they will increase with age.

Phil Sponenberg (sp), the equine color guru has addressed it in his book(s). One of the theories is that they are from the Sabino gene.

Look up somatic mutation too, at least I think that's what it's called. I think her coloring is closer to somatic mutation than chimeric.

Here's a link to some somatic mutation colors in horses, just pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=somatic+color+mutation+in+horses&rlz=1T4GZAG_enUS455US455&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QbfFU5PBBYrCiQK3zoGgCg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=798

And, some written information about it: http://www.tawnyhorse.com/?page_id=1258
Plenty of those horses appear on the page picturing chimeric horses. The more we learn the more there seems to be to find out if we are to completely understand colour genetics. Good information Chanda.

thanks everyone I will look into maybe some DNA testing to figure out if she has two sets of DNA or not, also might want to try and find out about her pedigree although it might be difficult.

Interesting... I have a gelding that has similar markings, except instead of white lacing, he has darker lacing with lighter giraffe pattern over his loins. I always just thought it was something just unique to him, now you get me thinking! Please let us know what you find out from testing!

Latest posts

Back