Colour experts - Mum & foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Foaling season is so wonderful isn't it!!? I'm so lucky to be a big part of it with my dear friend involving me with her babies along the way. I feel so proud, just like they are my own. Riverdance Stud is the farm that my Bailey and Willow come from and also the home to 'Midgee Petite'.

Now, this gorgeous little man was born a couple of days ago. Can you help us out with his colour? Silver something right??

missy1.jpg

And his Mum. She obviously has some appoloosa in her, but there must be something else going on with her colouring too. Any ideas??

missy2.jpg

His Dad is registered as a 'buckskin frame overo'. Photo taken a few years back.

MannyChampionOct06.jpg

And some photos of Midgee, just for fun. She is wondering why she isn't getting all the attention that she used to now that the babies are on the ground.. She resorts to sticking her head through the fence to get our attention!

midgee-2.jpg

midgee2.jpg

Any colour suggestions and thoughts would be very appreciated.

xox Leonie xox

To me the colt looks like a silver black. His dam is perhaps a silver buckskin with pangere (not sure I spelled that right). The sire has more than just frame going on, probably at least sabino as well.

Mom looks silver buckskin. Baby maybe silver dapple, or may be black. I think the sire looks like a black sabino and white pinto, no buckskin that I can see! I am no color guru though, these are just my guesses. :D

And you tell that little Midgee to take care of herself and quit poking through the fence! We want to see photos and hear stories of little Midgee for many, many years to come.
default_wub.png
Just LOVE that little sweetie!

Sire looks black to me too, not buckskin.

Dam looks buckskin

Foal looks silver dapple or silver black

Hard to say for sure from one picture but I do not see any appy in the dam she looks to be a silver buckskin- sire looks to be silver as well and of course so does baby who has the cutest face
default_smile.png

Dam looks Grulla or Bay base Appy + Pangaré.

Sire is Sabino + Black + Frame if you say he is (
default_wink.png
)

Foal is Silver Black

To me the colt looks like a silver black. His dam is perhaps a silver buckskin with pangere (not sure I spelled that right). The sire has more than just frame going on, probably at least sabino as well.
I agree.
default_wink.png

Where is the mare showing any Appy signs? Maybe I need new glasses?? Maybe I need to see her shed out... *is confused*
default_smile.png

Baby is as others have sad - silver black. So at leat one parent must carry silver. Mare does look silver buckskin pangare to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Sabino Pinto.

They start out looking silver, then darken as they age. He looks like he has three white hooves, which will have socks or stockings when clipped.

The sire you show was likely misidentified as a buckskin when he was actually a black sabino frame which has now matured and darkened black in the photo you showed.

Some examples of ours at birth and then maturing:

Example Number One

JasmineColtRt.jpg

Casanova4yrold.jpg

Example Number Two:

RightSide.jpg

RightWeb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm adding another photo of the mare and stallion.

This is the stallion in his winter coat..

IMG_3761.jpg

And the mare in her summer coat..

missy1-1.jpg

Do these photos still bring the same outcome??

Do these photos still bring the same outcome??

I think so. Some black horses can look "brownish" in the winter; my full size black and white pinto gelding does. But he looks black in his shed-out summer coat.

I agree with those that have said the stallion looks black, the mare looks silver buckskin, and the foal looks silver black.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back