Colour and testing question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
Wow....it's been a really long time since I have been on here. And I know how sick some people get of the same questions over and over again. I should have paid more attention to the discussions over the years that I would see about colour...but I didn't because I never needed to know with the minis I had at the time.
Now, I have a question regarding a foal that just arrived. His dam is palomino, his sire is smoky black.....baby looks bay. He can't be bay, am I correct?
And also, to go with this, what type of testing would prove what colour he is, if necessary (I've never done any colour testing before, so don't even know where to start)?

Thanks in advance

Your foal could be bay if the palomino mom carries at least 1 dominant agouti gene. Sire would be E_aaCrcr. Then if the dam is eeA_Crcr, foal got E and a from dad and e and A from mom, and there is your bay.

I would also be suspicious that he sheds out buckskin. Hard to tell from a picture with the baby color, but he looks really light for bay.

Ok this was exactly what I was wondering. I have never had buckskin (or bay) babies so really had no idea which it might be.
What tests would tell me, if I were to test?

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back