color ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkblazin

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any significance in a horse having a split colored tail. Like a palomino pinto with a white tail that has black in the center?

I do know palominos usually have black hairs in the tail at the center, but palomino pinto wouldn't increase the amount of black hairs in a palomino pinto tail, where it's basically just a palomino with pinto pattern to add white areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS if anything, pinto in a palomino could decrease the black hairs if the white pattern "covered" the area of the tail.

I thought I should ask just in case I was missing something.

Here's a pic of the tailIMG_20141003_140131.jpg

( lol ignore the creepy hand to the left)

The tail looks like you can have with palominos, like a core of black hairs, and the hand like fine to me
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much Jill. And that hand was not supposed to be there but I guess it snuck in lol.
default_smile.png

In the UK Palomino coloured horses are not accepted into the National Palomino register if there are any black hairs in their manes or tails.

You can google palomino and black hairs, tail and mane if you want. I think Palomino registry here in the States sets a limit to the number of black hairs for the shows that mostly quarter horse people attend (any minis? I don't honestly know if they now accept minis for registration...). I know that paperwotk and rules don't alter color genetics. It is normal to have black hairs in the tail of a true palomino. We have a range of the color spectrum of true palomino minis here, from light to very golden, and every one of them has black hairs in the center / core of their tails
default_yes.gif

Not all palominos have black in the tail; from what I have seen, minis tend to have more than the full size horses--I've seen Morgans who had snow white tails with few or no dark hairs.

The palomino registries do limit the amount of black that is allowed in the mane and tail. The Canadian Palomino association allows no more than 15% dark hair in the tail. Ponies and miniatures are not accepted for palomino registration.

Wow I would never have thought about that. Very interesting. Hank you so much for your responses
default_smile.png
they are very helpful

Back