Color testing results....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I TOO SENT IN ONE SAMPLE ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO... I EMAILED THE LAB ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND HAD A VERY NICE RESPONSE FROM THE OFFICE MANAGER... SHE STATED THE CREME TEST HAD TO BE DONE OVER (WHICH I ALREADY KNEW FROM PREVIOUS POSTS FROM FORUM MEMBERS). I EMAILED BACK AND TOLD HER I WASN'T CONCERNED WITH THE CREME TEST BECAUSE MY STALLION IS A CREMELLO... I JUST WANTED THE RESULT FOR THE "PINTO" GENES. IN A FEW DAYS SHE EMAILED ME BACK WITH THE RESULTS. HIS RESULTS SAID HE CARRIED ONE COPY OF THE SILVER GENE (ALREADY KNEW THAT FROM THE TEST I HAD DONE AT ANIMAL GENETICS, WHICH BY THE WAY IS MY FAVORITE PLACE FOR TESTING) HAS IS NEGATIVE FOR TOBIANO, SABINO AND OVERO. HE DOES CARRY RED AND IS HOMOZYGOUS FOR AGOUTI. SO THE OLY FOALS HE CAN PRODUCE ARE PALOMINO, BUCKSKIN, SILVER BUCKSKIN OR A DOUBLE DILUTE OUT OF A DILUTE MARE... VERY INTERESTING. THE FOALS I HAD BORN THIS YEAR WERE A BUCKSKIN, SILVER BUCKSKIN AND A GOLD CREME (CHAMPAGNE, LAB TESTED) OUT OF A CHAMPAGNE MARE. SO BASED ON THIS YEAR'S FOALS I WOULD SAY THE RESULTS I RECEIVED WERE ACCURATE.

Anyone using this test please be aware that Shelterwood is an offshore lab that has a rather checkered history when it comes to color testing. They are also using tests that are not peer reviewed and in some cases tests that they are not paying licensing fees to use - that is why they are so cheap. I know of several individuals who sent in samples and payments months ago and their checks have been cashed but they are being given a number of excuses as to why they have not yet received test results.
Lewella was thinking the same thing! I started to jump on the bandwagon and go for it on some of mine, but decided against it based on their previous records.

Jsut read all of this, and for those asking about Animal Genetics, I can't recommend them more! I've had several animals tested over hte last 2 years and not once have they been slow about it. I can send samples in (from W TX) and within a week of them leaving the PO here, I have an email in my inbox stating the result. The paper results can be a bit slower, at 2-3 weeks, but your not sitting on your hands waiting to know. They even sent me a cool looking certificate saying my one mare was a Champagne. AFAIK, the tests are all 25 a piece at AG. I've never dealt with UC Davis so can't comment on them.

I have to say I agree with Kaykay on the "you get what you pay for" statement. More times than not this is true.

I got 2 out of 3 horses' results, I can't remember when... 2, 3, 4 weeks ago? Sorry, weeks all melt into each other haha!

I had given up and really wanted to know if my double dilute is perlino like I thought, so I sent her hair to Animal Genetics and got her results (she is perlino). Funny thing is, I got her results via email the same day I got results on the 2 with Shelterwood (which of course was quite awhile after it was sent in, AG took just a few days). But the one that I haven't recieved is the double dilute. IF I ever get hers, will be interesting to compare ;) Last night I sent them an email asking why I have yet to recieve hers, but have not yet received a response.

Latest posts

Back