Color testing....pics inside

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I am thinking of color testing my two mares for future breeding purposes. That way it'll make it easier to know what I'll get. I'll post pics and maybe someone can tell me what colors and patterns I should test for. Sorry it's so pic heavy!! What I would also like to know is, where is the best place to get the testing done? How much does one test usually cost?

1st mare, 3 y/o: She was born a chestnut with bald face, 4 stockings, and a partial left blue eye. Sire was a dark grey and dam was a strawberry roan (chestnut sabino maybe?) What should I test her for?

Baby pics:

Roxy6-4-05.jpg

Roxy-6-4-05.jpg

6 months (when I bought her):

Roxy112005.jpg

Winter coat:

100_0173.jpg

100_0176.jpg

Summer coat when clipped:

100_0232.jpg

2nd mare, 10 y/o: I know a bay but she has roany spots on her neck, back, hips and sides. What should I test for? Her sire was a solid buckskin and her dam was a sorrel paint.

Summer coat:

100_0230.jpg

100_0231.jpg

Roan Spots:

100_0228.jpg

100_0226.jpg

100_0227.jpg

100_0224.jpg

Thanks for all the help and info!

Becky M.

I think the first mare is a true grey. You could also test for Lethal White.

2nd mare is Tobiano but probably has the sabino gene which is causing the roaning.

The first mare looks to be a true gray to me as well.

Second mare is pretty!
default_wub.png
I would be tesing her for homozygous tobiano. I think sabino might be causing the roaning too, but don't know if I would want to pay the money to test for it. If you are going to want to be breeding for black foals, you might want to test for homozygous agouti. (Just learned about that one)
default_wink.png

I think your first mare is grey, but may be carrying silver. There is a test for the Silver Dilution Gene available through Animal Genetics.

The second mare appears Tobiano with Sabino roaning, which is quite common in pintos. You could test her to see if she is Homozygous for Tobiano, which means she would always produce a pinto foal. There is a test for Sabino1 available through Animal Genetics. The Sabino gene, particular in pintos, allows them to produce wildly marked pintos, which some farms specifically want to produce.

Lovely girls!
default_smile.png

Thanks for the compliments on my girls!
default_wub.png
The grey one is a Blue Boy Great-granddaughter and the Bay Tobiano is a Buckeroo and Dels Cowboy Great-granddaughter!
default_wub.png
They both love attention and are extremely nosy but I think most minis are! I'm planning breeding one or both of them at some point, depending on my money situation and some other factors, and I thought I would color test both of them so that I know what colors they really are. If anyone else wants to add their opinioin please do. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Becky M.

I have no clue about color and I am sorry to get off topic but I just have to ask......

In the first pic, is the momma ok that has her leg stretched out straight? Sorry it just caught my eye and I couldn't help but ask :DOH!

Mare one is born chestnut so no need to test that, you could test for silver, agouti, and LWO.

Sabino you could do too, but if it´s negative she could still be sabino, so I wouldn´t waste money on that.

I agree she is grey.

Second mare, had chestnut dam so is Ee, sire is solid, so heterozygous pinto, so no need to test for those.

Only agouti you could test if she is Aa or AA, but not nessesary.

Latest posts

Back