Color Testing a Perlino/Cremello

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, he's a Silver all right, from his sire, who was a Silver Black (possibly Bay, it is hard to tell) and he looked it as a foal, although an awful lot of Buckskins do seem to have a lot of cream in their manes and tails when young.

Same with Alvadars Double Destiny, he was very pale as a youngster, as is his son, the sire of my boy.

LKs Double Extasy looks an "ordinary" Buckskin, although as a colt he was much paler in the mane and tail than he is now.

My boy is Silver Bay Pinto.

I am NO color expert but I never thought he was cremello either......always thought perlino. And I agree with what Mona says above.
Carol, I too have always heard him referred to as a perlino, but his AMHA papers do say cremello (I'm told). I will LOVE him either way, but I want to know for sure before I start breeding in the spring.

Thursday is the day!
default_risa8.gif

I am NO color expert but I never thought he was cremello either......always thought perlino. And I agree with what Mona says above.
Carol, I too have always heard him referred to as a perlino, but his AMHA papers do say cremello (I'm told). I will LOVE him either way, but I want to know for sure before I start breeding in the spring.

Thursday is the day!
default_risa8.gif
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
default_wink.png

Parmela, I don't know if this was addressed and I really don't remember, but is/was perlino a color choice on the A registration papers?? I just looked and saw that it is now, but was it then?

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wink.png

Parmela, I don't know if this was addressed and I really don't remember, but is/was perlino a color choice on the A registration papers?? I just looked and saw that it is now, but was it then?
Thanks Carol!!!

I don't think Perlino was a choice when he was originally registered so that may be the only reason it says Cremello. I'm going to test regardless of what he looks like because I want it confirmed for my peace of mind. I also recently learned there is such a thing as a Silver Perlino! Never heard that one before but I guess with the effect of creme on silver maybe it's just too hard to see with the naked eye. I'm going to test just the same.

default_wink.png

Thanks Carol!!!

I don't think Perlino was a choice when he was originally registered so that may be the only reason it says Cremello. I'm going to test regardless of what he looks like because I want it confirmed for my peace of mind. I also recently learned there is such a thing as a Silver Perlino! Never heard that one before but I guess with the effect of creme on silver maybe it's just too hard to see with the naked eye. I'm going to test just the same.
I had somebody once tell me he might be Dunalino.....so add that into the mix.
default_wacko.png
Of course I know one parent has to be a dun but I have no idea if either his sire or dam were or not.

Let's just put this out there so it is clear....Silver does NOT necessarily show on Buckskin.

FACT!!!!

A "normal" looking Buckskin CAN have Silver.

FACT.

The black mane and tail and points of a Silver Buckskin canlook exactly the same as an ordinary, non-Silver carrying Buckskin...look at Buckaroo

Theory:

Cream inhibits the expression of Silver.

So, I would certainly test for Silver if you have any reason to believe it is present.

Then Black/Agouti and Red need also to be tested if you want to know exactly what is going on.

Are you sure he isn't Pinto as well
default_wink.png
Sorry to go off on a tangent that doesn't have a lot to do with testing a cremello/perlino, but where did you dig up the fact that Buckeroo had a silver gene. His sire is listed as sorrel (not) and his dam is palomino. I took a look at the Buckeroo offspring on the studbook and every thing that had silver had a silver, palomino, or sorrel dam. If he had a silver gene you would expect to see a lot more silver in the offspring.

I know that Double Destiny got his silver from his sire because I've seen his dam and she is black; but the mane is dyed in the pics of his sire. My neighbor used to own part of Destiny and I've seen him on several occasions and you can definately see the silver in his mane as well the sons that I have seen that are silver buckskins. I could be wrong but I still don't think the silver can hide in the mane of a silver buckskin. It should affect the black the same as it does on a silver bay.

Rick

Latest posts

Back