Color Tested and now what do I do????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacharyfarms

Reaction score
First let me thank Animal Genetics for doing such a nice job with handling all my tests and the beautiful certificates that they send ..They are great to work with.

Thank you Thank you

Well I bit the bullet and had all 26 of my horses color tested..I feel it is some of the best money I have spent on non health related (although the LWO could be) extras..I can now do color charts for breeding and have a fairly good idea what is going to happen and also for sales purposes can offer this info...

Out of my 26 tested I have two positive for the frame overo gene(mother and foal Hearthrob and Ducati) and I have 6 that tested positive Homozygous Tobiano..

Siggie did test positive as Homozygous Tobiano (Move over Cowboy ) as did both the medicine hat foals(PowWow and Spirit) and my Avatar stallion (now two years old) Legacy who also tested as Palomino (the mare in my avatar tested as Smoky Black with one copy of the cream gene). You would think Legacy would be a cremello but he only tested positive for one copy of the cream gene and does have some light red spots that have shown up on his sides.

Good Golly Miss Molly tested Homozygous Tobiano as well as her half sister Fiesta.

This testing aso let me know that I have

16 black based horses two of which are homozygous black and only 5 of which are heterozygous agouti (bay)

10 red based with no agouti so no sneaky silver bays here..( I actually thought a couple of mine were silver bays..they have very dark red almost black hairs in their tails).

Now to decide what to do with my For Sale page...I hate this part...trying to decide who to sell...I have done Mare/Stallion charts to try to see who the best matches would be and still can't decide...

Someone hellllllllpppppppp me..

Judy

zacharyfarms said:
10 red based with no agouti so no sneaky silver bays here..( I actually thought a couple of mine were silver bays..they have very dark red almost black hairs in their tails).

445665[/snapback]

I'm a bit confused by this. Agouti and Silver are two separate things (and no test for Silver). Your Red based horses could still carry Silver and if bred to a Bay coud still produce a Silver Bay. Maybe I'm just mis-reading you.

You are right that my red based could still carry silver but they aren't silver bays because they do not carry agouti..they could produce a silver bay but only if bred to a horse that carries agouti...Which won't happen here since I know what carries what...probably didn't express that properly..That is why the testing was important to me, so I would know what to breed to what...I know that one of my agouti carriers is a Silver bay...( he tested black based with agouti..)I have two more that are Silver blacks ( Tested black based with no agouti) and have white mane and tails, white eyelashes etc....This is so satisfying being able to explain these horses...it is worth it..to know what you asssumed was either right or wrong and that what they have is what they will breed unless bred to something that can add

something they don't have... Now when they have the test for silver that will get me going again...I have 10 red based that I know some could be hiding silver. The horses other than those that tested Homozygous for Tobiano all tested at least Heterozygous for Tobiano except for three that were Black based and are obvious splash white overos and one probable splash and three appaloosas.

Clear as mud right??

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, well for starters you can send Good Golly Miss Molly up here to Maine, I love her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am sure you have mares that I would love to!!!!!!

Now I am just curious, Why do you not put prices on your webpage??

You have amazing color in your herd and I LOVE color!!!!

Holy Moly that's a LOT of color tests!! 26 horses... WOW!! I agree though it's just so much fun to find out color info on your horses. It's just unbelieveable the info that's out there, more people should take advantage of it. I guess now you'll just have to decide what your own (color) goals are and go from there. I don't think most people are aware that you can do the mare/stallion charts and figure out what your chances for foal color are. You're one step ahead if you've already done that.
smile.gif

To tell you the truth, I don't know why I don't post the prices..I really like to work with each individual buyer..so far it has worked..I usually sell more than one at time and that sometimes changes the price..Maybe I will post them this time..I have a terrible time personally deciding who to sell and even at this time just updated the for sale page and have gone back and forth about who to sell and who not to..and it is still not complete..I definately will keep one of the medicine hats unless someone wanted the pair together but just can't decide which one..they are basically twins except totally different parentage..its a dilemma..
laugh.gif
I had someone come recently to look at my horses and I just hadn't decided on who to sell or prices so I sent them to another forum member who had what I thought they wanted listed on the Auction page ....dumb...yes but I want them to get exactly what they are looking for...I usually don't sell a horse until it is 2 years old..but now I have more than I can keep so will sell some as weanlings or yearlings...Not good business sense maybe but so far it has worked and I have sold all that I have advertised. Thank you for your compliment of my horses. I have worked very hard to get the quality, size and color that I have..I have just started on my appaloosa program and am in hopes of producing smaller appaloosas and pintaloosas than you generally see. The first appy foals that I have are a success..I can't wait until next year as I have learned so much about the color aspect of the appys.

Latest posts

Back