Color test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridekool

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can send some hair samples off to be tested? My two ponies are funky colors and I'd like to know what they are. I'm sure the mare is some kind of red roan and the colt is a palomino. Somewhere in Canada would be great.

Fallon (colt) He shed all his baby hair and is now a pinkish color (the color of his neck) Hard to tell here but above the white on his legs he's dark...like a sooty palomino.

Fallon5.jpg

Hope (Fallons dam)...please excuse Hope's Fulgy conformation I've only had her 4 months and am working on her weight and have a chiropractor appointment for her roached back...

Leftside.jpg

They both look like silvers of some sort to me along with roan. My guess would be silver bay roan for both maybe silver buckskin roan for the colt. Do you know what color his sire is? Sorry, I can't help you with where to get them color tested in Canada but I would definitely test them for Red Factor, Agouti, and Silver if you can.

The sire is a complete mystery. I bought the mare at auction and was told that she was bred to a Welsh...???

I'll try and find some better pics of the colt, him standing in the shade is not doing justice to his color and the mare looks much darker then she really is *sigh* I need a better camera.

Lets try these ones....

These suck for conformation, not like she good confo to start, but they show her color a bit better.

Mare

Rightside-1.jpg

00_00006-1.jpg

00_00003.jpg

I'm going to take better shots tonight of both mare and colt. The pics are worse then I thought they were
default_unsure.png

Looking very carefully at the pictures, I think I see dark shading at the base of both horses' tails (rather like the dark "roots" on some blondes!) A genetic palomino (CcrC,ee) would have a completely cream-colored tail, with no dark hairs.

Foal colors can be so confusing! A friend of mine had a Dun-based buckskin foal that was born almost cream colored, with barely darker mane and tail. He shed out to a pale gold body color, with a sort of chocolate color on his legs and not-quite-black M/T. We have no idea what color he'd have finally wound up, unfortunately he died as a weanling. (His owner said it was "East-West Nile," I have no idea what that really means. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt! He was in the process of getting his shots, he just didn't have full immunity at the time of exposure.
default_no.gif
)

I agree with silver bay for the foal. Any white hairs on the body yet? He may yet turn into a silver bay roan, like the mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Fallon (colt) has some roan-ish hairs on his bum...I'll have to check his tail (I can't remember if he has dark hairs or not
default_unsure.png
) The mare does have dark hairs in her mane and tail. My niece was out yesterday so I couldn't take better pics...hopefully tonight
default_rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking that the only reason the mare was bred was because of her funky color :DOH! Fingers crossed that Fallon does not inherit her fuglyness.

Aww that poor baby
default_sad.png

I got some better pics of Fallon. I'm gonna post this in the Mini forum.

BunnyLady you were right. The mare does have black on her legs (hind)...You'd think I'd know that since I see her everyday *sigh* My bad
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back