Color test results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I decided to color test my overo colt born a week and a half ago. Here's a couple of pics from the day after he was born.

PerfectImage003.jpg

PerfectImage002.jpg

The colts' sire is a black minmally marked LWO stallion, McSperitts Rowdy Night Image. The colts' dam is a black based (believed to be a black sabino) mare, Redrock Corkers Sandi Lassie.

I decided to color test him for LWO, Red Factor, Sabino (SB1), Agouti, Cream and Silver. In appearance, the colt has some areas of smokey tan colored hair including his medicine hat and areas down his back.

His results are: LWO - heterozygous, Red Factor - heterozygous, SB1 - heterozygous, Agouti - negative, Cream - negative and silver - negative.

So the colt, Redrock Perfect Image, is a black frame/sabino overo!
default_aktion033.gif

Edited to replace the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
My monitor is not showing the pictures clearly enough that I can see his coloured areas but he sure is a lovely little guy. I expect from those results that he will show black where he is not smoky tan once his foal coat is replaced. Nice.

NICE!
default_yes.gif
That IS very interesting, and he is a doll!
default_wub.png

Becky,

Thanks for posting the results. I do find this very interesting!
default_laugh.png

BTW, he's adorable!!!

That is very interesting it boggles my mind sometimes trying to figure this color thing out. Hes a handsome boy though.

Thanks, all! I love this colt!
default_wub.png

Freeland, he tested exactly what I had hoped he would be but with his areas of smokey colored hair, I just wanted to be sure. Sabino (and maybe SB1 in particular?) can really lighten the body color giving the appearance of being something else. I felt certain he was black, but with genetic testing, I now know for a fact!
default_aktion033.gif
I hope you get some like him next year too!
default_smile.png

I find the whole color aspect of overos amazing and really want to get more educated about it. I love overos and that is a beautiful colt. Congratulations.
default_smile.png

He is gorgeous Becky! Can't wait to watch him mature.

Congrats.

Beth

Latest posts

Back