Color test of my filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Hooves

Reaction score
amhr_homozygous.jpg

Annie Oakley of Little Hooves - born from two buckskin pinto parents. I really was hoping for a little buckskin pinto filly that looked like "mom," but when I rushed to see the new foal as she was born, I came to discover this little wet head with brown-black coloring. My first reaction was "DARN IT!" But as she dried off an colored out, she turned into a lovely bright bay color. Nice!

But even so, my husband told me I had to sell her because she wasn't going to fit into my breeding program. I was sad over this because she is just too sweet for words. I had some interest in her, but because of the market, no one wanted to purchase her....so I decided it might be in my best interest to see if she was homozygous for more than just pinto - maybe black since that would help her sell.

But with a $10 discount on black and agouti together, I tested her for both. I already figured she was homozygous for pinto since I believe both parents to be, so didn't mark to test her for that (she also has several ink spots/paw prints on her).

Yesterday, the test results came in. I was in shock and couldn't believe my eyes. I may not have had a buckskin pinto filly, but I got the next best thing.

Annie Oakley of Little Hooves is HOMOZYGOUS for BLACK AND AGOUTI!!! And to verify the Tobiano, I requested her results on that last night and should have them today (but I predict she'll be homozygous for Tobiano, too).

SHE'S AMAZING! This filly can never produce a red or black or solid horse... bay pintos straight up all the time, and if I breed her to a cremello or smoky cream or perlino - 100% buckskin pinto. My jaw dropped as I realized, suddenly this filly is worth more than I imagined and belongs in my program. I called up my husband and said, "I'm a fool to sell her!" So she's staying with me...so far.
default_smile.png
I'm thrilled! She's such a perfect little girl!

Very cool results!

May I ask who did the color testing, curious about the discount
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice filly , I certainly would not have sold her just because she is not a Buckskin.
It's not that... I might have sold her even if she were a buckskin. But we only have room for about 5 to 6 horses at any one time and I have to be extra selective. When I keep one, another has to leave. It's my husband's rules
default_smile.png
He knows I'm breeding for conformation with specific color. When Annie was born, he wanted me to sell her because she wasn't "my goal" - a perlino - and she could never produce one. But in her case, I think she'd make a fine show horse, and if I breed her to the right stallion, I could get some really nice and colorful foals out of her and never expect less than a bay pinto
default_smile.png
I do wish I could keep all my foals, though! The Broker's Babe and Showtime cross has resulted in really nice ones! This would be my first foal in 3 years of breeding that I would keep.

amhr_homozygous.jpg

Annie Oakley of Little Hooves - born from two buckskin pinto parents. I really was hoping for a little buckskin pinto filly that looked like "mom," but when I rushed to see the new foal as she was born, I came to discover this little wet head with brown-black coloring. My first reaction was "DARN IT!" But as she dried off an colored out, she turned into a lovely bright bay color. Nice!

But even so, my husband told me I had to sell her because she wasn't going to fit into my breeding program. I was sad over this because she is just too sweet for words. I had some interest in her, but because of the market, no one wanted to purchase her....so I decided it might be in my best interest to see if she was homozygous for more than just pinto - maybe black since that would help her sell.

But with a $10 discount on black and agouti together, I tested her for both. I already figured she was homozygous for pinto since I believe both parents to be, so didn't mark to test her for that (she also has several ink spots/paw prints on her).

Yesterday, the test results came in. I was in shock and couldn't believe my eyes. I may not have had a buckskin pinto filly, but I got the next best thing.

Annie Oakley of Little Hooves is HOMOZYGOUS for BLACK AND AGOUTI!!! And to verify the Tobiano, I requested her results on that last night and should have them today (but I predict she'll be homozygous for Tobiano, too).

SHE'S AMAZING! This filly can never produce a red or black or solid horse... bay pintos straight up all the time, and if I breed her to a cremello or smoky cream or perlino - 100% buckskin pinto. My jaw dropped as I realized, suddenly this filly is worth more than I imagined and belongs in my program. I called up my husband and said, "I'm a fool to sell her!" So she's staying with me...so far.
smile.gif
I'm thrilled! She's such a perfect little girl!
WOW... My DREAM color results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is neat.

Congratulations on the test results! I am glad for you that you are now able to keep her!
smile.gif

I purchased a bay mare last fall that came from two buckskin parents. She also tested homo for both black and agouti. I happen to have a cremello colt I am keeping as a future stallion. I LOVE buckskin colored horses and she will give me that 100% chance of getting one with him. She had a beautiful bay pinto filly 2 weeks ago that AI am having color tested too. I would be shocked if she is also homo for both.

Wonder if two buckskin make a homo for black and agouti bay horse? Just a coincidence?

Marsha

Latest posts

Back