Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margot

Reaction score
I have a filly that was born looking like a palomino pinto with pink skin and two blue eyes. When we clipped her all the color is gone and she appears to be white. Her sire is our buckskin pinto Lucky Four triple Tuff LWO negative and her dam is a solid buckskin. We have another two year filly from Tuffy and a buckskin pinto mare that did the same thing, she was born a medicine hat pinto but all the color is gone except for some pale orange brownish in her mane and tail, we registered her as a perlino pinto but I am at a loss at what to register this filly. I believe they are both genetically pinto even though they now appear to be white. I don't even know what to test them for. Wetting them does not show any color in the skin, they still look white. Sorry I don't know how to post pics but they can both be seen on the foal page of my website , this years filly with her dam , not the best but you can see the pinto color, the other is under 2006 foals and you her forelock and ears look like the have color but now her ears are even white and the color is just in the forelock and tail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I hate to register horses the wrong color.

http://www.minibreeders.com/shf/foals.htm

I would bet that both girls are double dilutes. You could get them tested for red factor, agouti, and cream to make sure. Then you would know if they are smoky cream, perlino, or cremello. Double dilutes are so pretty.
default_wub.png

Next time don't clip until you have taken the registration pictures!!!
default_smile.png

I think the filly, if I am looking at the right one, is visually a Perlino Pinto, but you would have to test for Black and Agouti and Cream to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
could you have a greying gene? I had 2 foals out of the same stallion that were born bright sorrel and white, and one is now milk white, and the other still has a few areas that have some color. Even wet you can hardly see their pinto markings.

I bet she is double dilute. I have two perlino pintos and they looked pinto as young foals but as adult mares, they mostly look just white unless you look REAL close (and even then, it helps if they are wet...) Your filly is so pretty!!!

As foals:

infinitybaby.jpg

Sweetie%20foal%207.jpg

Now:

Double%20062608%20025.jpg

Sweetie%20061808%20091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jill,

I love both of them and am very partial to all my Tuffy babies, he is my boy ! The older one is just like the pics you had on your reply except she was an even lighter color and now just has that slightly darker hair in her mane and tail so I guess the new little one will be the same and will just look white .

Latest posts

Back