Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Just wondering if you breed a grey to a pinto and the resulting foal is a pinto that is going to go grey.

Does they grey cover only the base color or the whole coat. ie does the foal end up grey and white or just completely grey????

Thanks

The animal would end up white all over but the coloured bits would go through all the stages of Grey.

It would still be genetically Pinto (Pinto is a pattern not a colour) and the Pinto would still show when it was wet.

There's the potential to be confused. I have a horse registered as a "grey and white" pinto but she is really a silver dapple pinto. LOTS of miniatures who are registered as grey are really silver dapple.

Also, on a pinto, the "base" color is the color. The white is over top of it and is not the base.

So, if the parent is a grey and white pinto and not homozygous for grey, the offspring has a 50/50 chance of turning grey (eventually "white" over time).

If the parent is out of 2 grey parents, it may actually be homozygous for grey. In that case, all offspring will go grey.

My gosh color genetics confuse me :DOH!

So if you bred a grey mare (homozygous) to say a black tobiano.

The foal if carrying pinto and grey would be grey and white until it faded out????

My gosh color genetics confuse me :DOH!

So if you bred a grey mare (homozygous) to say a black tobiano.

The foal if carrying pinto and grey would be grey and white until it faded out????
Yes... the foal could be colored and white until greying out. Could start out pitch black spotted and grey, or whatever colored area the two parents would make.

In case it helps, this is my mare who is registered as "grey and white", but she is really silver dapple and white. Also, my stallion who is a greyed grullo... between them, they have the greying-grulla filly pictured.

LOU--07312006--%20085%20BRUSHED%20MARE%20PAGE.jpg
[SIZE=18pt]x[/SIZE]
DunIT%20071008%20047%20350%20STALLIONS.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]=[/SIZE]

Passion%20062608%20054%20MARES.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back