Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
Now that my "rescue" minis are mostly shed out I am wondering what color Rocket has turned out to be. Last time I posted a picture of him someone on here said he might be a dark buckskin. What do you all think? Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest. I decided to take some at the last minute this evening so the shadows were in the way a bit.

Pictures from this evening

7408001.jpg

7408002.jpg

7408006.jpg

Picture from a couple months ago.

52708011.jpg

Here is one a little bigger from this evening.

7408003-1.jpg

my guess is definitly a smutty buckskin or possible a seal brown!???

Yep, I also think he's smutty buckskin. It can come in various shades, some that are golder vs. darker, but I do think that's what he is (and very handsome)
default_yes.gif

Here is a mare of mine I consider to be a smutty buckskin. She (Triple H Buckin Khaki) has dark "smudgy" looking areas and in the winter, it looks like she has a dark brown undercoat.

Khaki%20%20350%20%20Ball%20--%20071107%20--%20140.jpg
KHAKI--07312006--%20BRUSHED%20027%20MARES.jpg

I posted a question like this some weeks ago, because I just bought a 4 year old mare, everyone is telling me she's a bay mare, but when I saw her picture as a foal, it became more confusing for me. Her dam is a palomino, and her sire is a silverdapple but what color is she? She has been covered by a palomino stallion, in the hope of getting a buckskin foal.

My first topic,

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...c=95076&hl=

and Utag, present day,

Vanessa --

She looks like she could be smutty buckskin to me! If you want to know for sure, you could have her color tested.

She's a cutie
default_wub.png

Jill

The problem here is that Pangaré can have this affect on Bay, it does not have to be Cream that does it.

If you look at pictures of Exmoor Ponies, Vanessa, you will see that they resemble your mare more than anything else, and yet there is NO Cream in Exmoors at all.

The gelding, I do actually think might be Buckskin, but I would want to see properly shed pictures.

Utag, I think is Bay + Pangaré.

We just got a stallion back we sold a number of years ago who is a smutty buckskin. His color looks different depending on the season but he has produced buckskin and palomino babies so pretty sure of his color.
default_smile.png
Sire was a cremello, dam was bay. This is his unclipped, naturally shed out color.

brennanhorses708011.jpg

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
The gelding, I do actually think might be Buckskin, but I would want to see properly shed pictures.

Utag, I think is Bay + Pangaré.
The front half of Rocket is shed out. The only place he has old hair is on his sides and the flank area. I don't think his neck and shoulders are going to change color anymore. Most of the pictures I posted I took yesterday. Only picture was from a few months ago when he had more winter hair and looked darker. Would it help if I took one in better lighting? Since he came from a general livestock auction I have no idea of his background, what color his parents might be etc. Could his hair be tested to see what his color is? And how expensive is it? If it is very expensive it might be better to just guess his color, but it would be fun to know!

Latest posts

Back