Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacyeking

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite mares. She has the wrong color on her papers, though, and when I bring her to permanent (a while off yet) I don't know what to call her. In winter, I'd call her palomino just looking at her, as she is "pale" (for lack of a better word) with a "paler" mane and tail. In summer, as you see, she dapples. Note that she also has a wide blaze and her muzzle has some black. I never saw her sire or dam, I bought her as a weanling and the breeder is now deceased.

Her name is Lazy W Glenn Star, her sire is Grosshill EKS Sidedeal, and her dam is Frisco Velvet Star, if anyone has the inclination and the ability to do the research.

What do you think?

th_Bockieleftside.jpg

th_Bockierighthead.jpg

Sorry for the crazy editing and pics disappearing and such, I duplicated and didn't mean to!

Stacye

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks silver dapple black to me (one of my favorite colors)
default_yes.gif
Silver dapple's colors can / do change with the seasons. I don't think she is palomino at all.

I agree, silver dapple. They do take on a beige color in winter coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is silver dapple a choice on the AMHA papers?

Stacye

Thank you, Jill. I guess I could have got off my bottom and gone to the file cabinet and pulled out her papers, but I thought it was easier to ask here.
default_biggrin.png

Stacye

Thank you for the replies and the compliments. It means a lot to get compliments from knowledgable people! I appreciate the help in identifying what color to call her. She is a very nice little horse, very correct, and very sweet. She is one of the ones that I hope I never part with.

Stacye

Yes. Silver Dapple. They can come in all sorts of shades and change seasonally too. LOVE her dapples!

I also say Silver Dapple, and she is a very pretty mare
default_wub.png

Here is another question. with the wide blaze, is that an indication of a possiblity that she carries the frame overo gene? I've heard that from some, and some say not. What do you think, and should I have her tested for the gene, even though my stallion is neg, in case I want to breed her elsewhere later?

I wish I knew more about her background. She really is a pretty thing.

Stacye

I agree with silver dapple for her coloring.

I was told that the blaze and blue eyes could be frame and/or splash overo.

Latest posts

Back