color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane=P

Reaction score
I have a colt ,that I am trying to figure out his color when he was born, he looked chestnut and then I clipped head neck and noticed the gray above his eyes, and I finished clipping and he has gone roany looking and has gray rings on eyes and light around mouth, he is almost two months old. He dam is silver dapple ( she has had two red foals before) and sire was born bay, went gray and he has both red and black based foals before. I thought the red gene wasn't affected by the gray gene? what color do you think he is ..JANE

JUST BORN PIC
colt04.jpg

HERE IS HEAD/NECK CLIP
kyle8.jpg

AND BODY CLIPPED (lower legs not done)
kyle01_250x166.jpg

klye05.jpg

The pictures are not working for me but reading your description, it for sure sounds like the foal is turning grey
default_yes.gif

Red is not visually effected by the SILVER gene (though reds may carry it and pass it down). SILVER has nothing to do with the GREY gene. Many silver dapples are incorrectly registered as "grey" which adds to the confusion. Absolutely any color horse may turn grey IF it has a grey parent and received the grey gene.

The description of the changes to the color sound just like my black colt, sired by my grey stallion. He's 3mos now and going grey in the way you have described.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I have been having problems with posting from freeservers, so I moved the pic's to photobucket, lets see if this works..JANE

colt004.jpg
just born

kyle08.jpg
head/neck clip

brat3.jpg
body clip-legs not done

klye05.jpg

His sire is pictured in avatar

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he may be going gray....
default_yes.gif

Looks to be going gray to me too. Darling boy!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back