color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantacsix

Just got this colt. His sire is a Perlino and his dam is a Black Sabino. Any ideas?

Shadow1.jpg

If the sire really is double dilute, then the colt has to be a single dilute (palomino, buckskin or smokey black). It looks like silver might be playing a role in this colts color (silver wouldn't show on the perlino).

My guess is either smokey silver black or maybe silver buckskin; I'd lean towards the smokey silver black (black + silver + one cream).

Very interesting color.

If his sire is truly double dilute, I would say that horse is smokey silver black.

From what I under stand there is no silver in his background. His sire is out of 2 bucksins and his dam has black in her pedigree.

I've seen plenty of silver buckskins registered as "buckskin" and thanks to have AMHA's rules are or were, I even have one I registered that way. So, if you haven't seen the parents, don't bet the farm on the colors on registry papers -- that goes for AMHA and AMHR -- both from the limited "official" choices and owner mistakes... think how many silver bays are thought to be sorrel and how many palominos are called cremellos, etc.

See my silver buckskin filly's papers... AMHA's Front and Back (called just buckskin) and AMHR's (called "silvery" buckskin)
default_rolleyes.gif

one of his grandparents is definetely Buckskin, it is Buckroo. here is his registered name....Nakar caspers Chocolotto.

My Buckeroo grandget are buckskin, grey and perlino... so that other side of things could throw silver (or anything) into the mix. I think I would bet my farm that the colt pictured is silver
default_yes.gif

I would totally place a bet for Smokey Silver Black, too!

Can you send in a test for silver, cream, and the red gene and let us know??? It would be a $75 well spent.

Andrea

Slivers have white eyelashes and his tail and mane are sandy brown. I will have to test him.

I would totally place a bet for Smokey Silver Black, too!

Can you send in a test for silver, cream, and the red gene and let us know??? It would be a $75 well spent.

Andrea

Ditto!

Slivers have white eyelashes and his tail and mane are sandy brown. I will have to test him.
The presence of both silver and cream in a horse can inhibit the way silver lightens manes, tails and eyelashes -- see my smokey silver black horse...

[SIZE=12pt]Ericas Echos of My Destiny (HOF), a/k/a “Destiny”[/SIZE]

2004 32” AMHR / AMHA smoky silver black stallion – co-owned with Erica Killion

National Champion / Many Time Grand Champion / Halter Hall of Fame / Multi National All Star / AMHA Honor Roll

Grandson of both Alvadars Double Destiny and Little Kings Buck Echo

Destiny%20Pictures%20By%20Shannon%20--%20June%202007%20--%20002.jpg
Destiny%20Area%205%202006%201.jpg

Latest posts

Back