Color question..?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]This is Valley View Java Blues. He is a five-year-old gelding I have had since he was three months old. His dam was a silver bay and his sire was a lepoard appaloosa. One eye is completely blue, and the other eye is half blue, half brown. [/SIZE]

I thought he was a silver dapple.

What is happening with his color? Is he an appy pattern, or what is going on? I am confused.
default_wacko.png

Back end:

Pictures280.jpg

Eye (Full blue):

Pictures281.jpg

Face:

Pictures291.jpg

Pictures298.jpg

Hip:

Pictures293.jpg

Pictures292.jpg

Legs (front legs look the same):

Pictures294.jpg

Hoof:

Pictures297.jpg

Full body:

Pictures295.jpg

Pictures296.jpg

I'm no colour expert...could it be roaning. Or maybe is silver dapple but the sun is changing it?

Whatever colour he is ...he is a real cutie!

Hmmmm interesting! The blue eyes suggest pinto genetics somewhere, but that roaning on top of the rump does say "appy" to me! You are definitely right that his base color is silver dapple, and those hooves are striped from the silver gene and maybe an appy gene too? Are either of his parents appies?

Andrea

P.S. Your little guy could use at least 50-75 pounds...

Looking at the legs it seems there is some appy roaning there. A lot of that white on the body, however, appears to me to be just the remains of long winter hair. When that sheds off this horse will be much darker again. Still, there is surely some appy coloring showing up there, judging by the lower part of his quarters & those legs. Striped hoofs could be due to silver and/or appy.

Please do take a close look at your feeding program, and adjust it so that you put 50 lbs or so on this gelding. Get him fed up & rounded out some so that he has some bloom, once he's all shed out he will be a lovely color!

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks.[/SIZE]

I realize he needs to put weight on.

He is on a strict feed program.

His weight fluxuates more then any horse I know. It is hard for him to keep wieght on, and gain weight.

The vet has looked him over, nothing amiss. I am going to have his teeth floated soon.

Try adding some soybean oil to his grain each day. This will pack in some calories for him and is inexpensive. If you feed anything high in Ca, try adding rice bran. It will help put the shine on his coat and add weight. You really should look at adding concentrates (grain) to his daily diet, he definitely needs some fat added.

ANdrea

He is beautiful!

You've not had the best of luck with horses/weight - I've had those problems with old riding horses, but with my minis it's the exact opposite, overweight - the lot of them! I'm always and forever trying to figure out how to keep the weight off and yet still let them enjoy life
default_smile.png
!

You've not had the best of luck with horses/weight
[SIZE=10pt]You can say that again...
default_wacko.png
[/SIZE]

But, I am doing the best I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is definately Appy......I am not expert but I think it is called snowflaking. And Appy's can have blue eyes. He is absolutely adorable!!! I agree he is thin and good luck with trying to put some weight on him.....I know some of them can be tricky! Maybe try some BOSS.....
default_yes.gif

To answer your original question, as others have said, definately Silver, definately Appy (hope some Appy breeders will come in with the right pattern, I would guess Varnish Roan???), and I would say the blue eye comes from minimal Splash.

I agree with Freeland. He looks silver black varnish roan appy with blue eyes coming from splash. Interesting color, very nice!

Silver Black base....at present Varnish (Snowflake) but do I see spots appearing???

It is obvious from his face that he is "Appy" , if he is not used for breeding (Did you geld him??) the Pinto pattern is irrelevant- apart from the eye it has no effect on his pattern- I think I remember all the trouble you have had with this colt and we went through all the feed possibilities then, it may well be that he has a high metabolic rate and will never hold weight...if he is still entire gelding would definitely help, if not, well, as you say, you are doing the best you can!!

My younger stallion loses weight at this time of year, even though he is in with the mares now, and on good grass, he just has to patrol for bears and wolves all the time (even though we have had neither for four hundred years!!) and he only ever eats half his feed, so, basically, there are some you cannot help, I'm afraid!!

He is such a pretty horse, though, it is a shame you can't get him into show condition!!

Latest posts

Back