Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I study color genetics, and I know all the "rules" but this little guy's dam has a pedigree without photos or much information on her parentage, so I'm kinda stuck in working out the genetics, so I will eventually get him and his mom tested, but have to pay off his vet bills first (yep, this is Happy who choked). I'm curious if anyone has seen a foal this color, and what do you think it is??? It's killing me not to be able to test him, but I have to wait until the fall...

I think his dam is seal brown probably with cream, and is a snowflake/varnish roan appy.

Her sire is listed as appaloosa dun in studbook, so probably buckskin, and her dam is listed as solid brown. Frosty Chips color looks similar to my leopard Carnival who is genetically tested to be a smokey seal brown.

Here is a link to her page:

Almost Heavens Frosty Chip

His sire is a black spotted blanket appy.

Here is a link to Happy's page:

Happy's Page

Photo before clipping:

Happy.4.5-15-08.jpg

Photo after clipping:

Happy.6-7-08.sm.jpg

I've never had one looks so brown, but not bay like my other foals. He is very different, do you think he is seal brown or maybe a dark buckskin?? Doesn't really matter I love him whatever the color
default_wub.png
, but the not knowing driving me nuts!!
default_wacko.png

He's lovely and I personally have never seen a colour like that.

I am not a colour expert, just wanted to say that I really like him and his colour.

Our little appy colt from two years ago was similar to your guy.. We thought/registered as "bay" but his lower legs never went dark like a typical bay.. Dam is registered as "grulla" snowcap and sire is palomino leopard

Foal

100_0164.jpg

Weanling

Axelprofile.jpg

Yearling

aa.jpg

Two year old unclipped

Cutout3.jpg

Two year old clipped

100_1984.jpg

Can you tell me the genetic differences between a brown and a dark bay?
Seal Brown is also located on the same "area" as the agouti gene (forgive my less than technical explaination!), Agouti (bay) is dominant over Seal Brown.

My understanding is dark bay has the black points, and darker red body. Seal brown is all brown with no dark points, and lighter areas on muzzle, around eyes, on flanks, etc. Edited to add there is a test available for seal brown only thru Pet DNA services of AZ http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/Equine.html

Our little appy colt from two years ago was similar to your guy
Lucky-C-Acres -Your boy is a seal brown, definitely, but mine colt's foal coat doesn't look like yours, he looks more bay in the foal photos. Your boy is cute by the way.

Guess it's just a mystery until I do the genetic color testing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell me the genetic differences between a brown and a dark bay?
Seal Brown is also located on the same "area" as the agouti gene (forgive my less than technical explaination!), Agouti (bay) is dominant over Seal Brown.

My understanding is dark bay has the black points, and darker red body. Seal brown is all brown with no dark points, and lighter areas on muzzle, around eyes, on flanks, etc. Edited to add there is a test available for seal brown only thru Pet DNA services of AZ http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/Equine.html

So then seal brown is similar to black but has the mealy look? or are we talking about what I would refer to as a dark bay, where the brown of the body is so dark that it is 'nearly' but clearly not quite, black ? Is the mealy (pangre (sp?) ) a given on seal brown?

appy likes to really mess up colors, keep that in mind ;)

I'd say bay. I call brown, black bay, ect, all bays, though ;)

Jessi

I think what is confusing you a the Pangaré that both this foal and his dam appear to have.

Since Brown has not been identified yet, let's not jump the gun here??

I think the foal is Bay base with Pangaré, and Varnish, which is what is giving him the "misty" look....he is spotting out very quickly.

He does look to be a Snowcap, although of course there is no test for that yet, either, but I have found the "false" Snowcaps seem to have a much brighter, crisper edge to their blankets, and spot or Varnish much more slowly than Trues do rather like a coloured foal that is going to go Grey, much more intense.

The clipped pictures, I find, are of no use whatsoever in diving true colour, they just confuse the issue.

When I saw the first picture I said "Bay + Pangaré" and I'll stick to that!!

Lucky C your animal is a Wild Bay base, again, that is what is confusing you.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back