Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

Could you tell me the color of this horse? Is he a brown flaxen?

5-2-08004.jpg

Appears to be a very typical silver dapple to me........ Wow, love the grass and trees in the background there too!

Thanks I have lots of trees!

Also he was muddy silly pony was rolling before I got a pic! That is the lighter patches you see.

I looked up silver and flaxen, how can you tell the difference between the two???

He's a typical "Silver Dapple". Actually, the proper genetic name would be "Silver Black". That's what you get when a black horse also gets the silver gene. Silver Blacks come in many different shades...ranging from light silvery gray, to very dark brown (almost black) with manes ranging anywhere from a striking silver white....to a darker gray color. Many call the shade your guy is...."Chocolate Silver".
default_yes.gif

"Flaxen" is a yellow or cream shade. The lightened manes & tails on "Silvers" will have a definite gray or silver hue to them.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Y'all, he is my friends horse and she asked about his color also so I posted to find out for sure. Thanks again!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back