Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question---I don't have any pictures but can a Buckskin have a dorsal stripe or would it be a different color? I like the light colored with the dark mane and tail with a dorsal stripe so when I'm looking for the right horse
biggrin.gif
I want to be sure I know what I'm exactly looking for.

"Dun" is what causes dorsal stripes. So, if you want a true dorsal, you want a Dun...or you could get a combination Buckskin & Dun.

Dona said:
"Dun" is what causes dorsal stripes.  So, if you want a true dorsal, you want a Dun...or you could get a combination Buckskin & Dun.
442404[/snapback]

Wich is a ''dunskin''

-Gage-

A dunskin is a horse that carries both the cream and the dun gene on a bay base.

Buckskin can have a dorsal- Dun must have a dorsal- that's the" rule"

I have to say that a lot of "dorsals" on Buckskins seem to be seasonal, and a lot of Buckskins with true Dorsals turn out to have Dun as well, so maybe the "rule" needs to be updated!! It does however hold true inasmuch as it means the"Dorsal Buckskin" is not a Dun, but has both Dun and Buckskin +Cream which is the important bit.

rabbitsfizz said:
Buckskin can have a dorsal- Dun must have a dorsal- that's the" rule"I have to say that a lot of "dorsals" on Buckskins seem to be seasonal, and a lot of Buckskins with true Dorsals turn out to have Dun as well, so maybe the "rule" needs to be updated!!  It does however hold true inasmuch as it means the"Dorsal Buckskin" is not a Dun, but has both Dun and Buckskin +Cream which is the important bit.

442457[/snapback]

As I have posted pics of Sugar that some of you have seen, She is a Lineback dun Buckskin. She has a dorsal stripe that is VERY visable year round, even in her winter coat.

It is hard to see at this angle

jul31450.jpg

The dark stripe you see in her bridle path goes all the way through her tail

aug02577.jpg

Latest posts

Back