color question? What should I test for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
HI!

I have never been this confused before. I can not decide what color this colt is? His dam is a silver black( silver dapple) and his sire is a black homozygous tobiano. This colt is pinto for sure, but I can not tell what color he is. His mane is black with a a spot of white in it. His tail is black with a little white mixed in. He is brownish grey but his muzzle is black. I have had silver blacks before and they do not liook like him.

What should I test for?

Thanks,

Robin

I am by no means a genetic expert, but I do enjoy playing with it. If they sire and dam are these colors they can have Silver Black, Black, and if both carry red Chestnut. However if the sire is somehow a Smokey Black instead, which I have heard sometimes Smokey Blacks can look very very black, then you also throw in Smokey Black, Silver Smokey Black, and Palomino. I'm guessing that this foal is not red based so that leaves you Silver Black, Smokey Black, Silver Smokey Black, and Black. I'd love to see pictures! Congrats on the new foal!

Back