color question on foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I have a foal colt and wondering what color he will be.I beleive grey. Or maybe go lighter then that? But what baffles me is The Blue eyes .He also has some stripping on the hoofs.Here are some pics of him and his sire and dam.
horses3022.jpg
horses3025.jpg
colt1.jpg
show08005-1.jpg

He looks like a silver bay to me. He cannot be a gray because neither of his parents is gray. His sire's color is often mistakenly called gray but is actually silver black aka silver dapple.

But his AMHA<AMHR AND Falabella papers say he is a grey Overo. Also a pic of him under my name in the corner
Not uncommon at all for papers to have the wrong color. Happens all the time.

I wonder if you were given the right papers when he was purchased. I would have questioned them.

I am confused- Did the stallion turn from almost white as a yearling (and therefore "gray") to the dark "gray" that looks like silver dapple in the photo where he is being led??? The foal can only turn gray if the sire or dam is gray, but I have never seen a gray get darker with age! The silver gene would cause the coat to go gray fast, which is what it looks like for the yearling photo. But then what???

The blue eyes on the foal could be from frame overo (LWO+) and I would have the foal checked for that. Has the stallion been tested for LWO? You did say he is frame overo.

If you look over that foals left eye or right side of the screen, it appears to have greying hairs.

The 2 pics above our of the sire.As a foal when I bought him and As a spring yrling clipped. The first pic of him as a yrling summer. As the hairs after clipping him grew back in. I loved his color then.And wished it never left.These other pics of him as a 2 yr old spring and fall. The foal is his.I only hand bred him to her. As she is my driving mare.This is his first foal
fair003.jpg
bristol003.jpg
bistrolagain015.jpg

I have a foal colt and wondering what color he will be.I beleive grey. Or maybe go lighter then that? But what baffles me is The Blue eyes .He also has some stripping on the hoofs.Here are some pics of him and his sire and dam.
OK, I am a bit confused on who is who. This colt appears to be Silver Bay in this photo: Stripped hooves is common in Silver and the blue eyes could come from either Frame (LWO) or Splash.

horses3025.jpg

IF this black/white mare is the dam:

colt1.jpg

And IF this Silver Black stallion is the sire:

show08005-1.jpg

Then the foal cannot be Silver Bay because neither parent has Agouti. It also cannot be Gray as neither parent is Gray. Therefore, the only other option is Sorrel/Chestnut.

Edited: I guess it is possible that that mare is a very dark Bay. Sometimes lighting can make appearances different. IF that is the case, the foal could be a Silver Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am voting (or guessing) with Songcatcher that the mare is really dark bay and the foal is silver bay. And that the foal can't go gray, but could be LWO+.

So Songcatcher,Should I just leave it for the registries to figure out?
NO. I would never leave it to the registry to figure out. That is why there are so many mis labled colors on the Studbook.

If the parentage is correct, he CANNOT be Gray. Test for Black, Agouti, and Silver. If he carries all three, he is Silver Bay.

NO. I would never leave it to the registry to figure out. That is why there are so many mis labled colors on the Studbook.

If the parentage is correct, he CANNOT be Gray. Test for Black, Agouti, and Silver. If he carries all three, he is Silver Bay.
Since the sire will be comming out of his Temp, papers.And new pics will be supplied. He can get his color changed.

I would add one more test - LWO - because if the foal is LWO+ then technically he is a pinto! (He looks to have enough facial white for PtHA registration anyway). I would also wager that the registries will see the photos and want to register him as sorrel, which of course he cannot be if the sire and dam are what we think they are!

Since the sire will be comming out of his Temp, papers.And new pics will be supplied. He can get his color changed.
I have changed the color listed when updating to permanent. Be sure to write a letter to explain.

I would add one more test - LWO - because if the foal is LWO+ then technically he is a pinto! (He looks to have enough facial white for PtHA registration anyway). I would also wager that the registries will see the photos and want to register him as sorrel, which of course he cannot be if the sire and dam are what we think they are!
I ALWAYS recommend testing for LWO if using for a breeding animal. I was only referring to colors above. LWO status will not make any difference in what color AMHA or AMHR will register him as. However, I would LOVE to see registries list LWO status on the papers.

The colt COULD be Sorrel if both sire and dam were heterozygous Red/Black.

I suspect the registries would choose "Chestnut" if they were picking the color. I also suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of Miniatures registered as Chestnuts are genetically Silver Bays.

I would bet money on that foal being a silver dapple/silver black like his sire. I would also test the sire for LWO.

Ok, I am totally confused.. The pic of the stallion clearly shows a silver dapple to me.

Who is the white horse in the one pic??

Dont forget that sabinos will have some roaning that seems to become more pronounced with age from what I have seen.

Who is this horse? Is this the foal you pictured at first? Are both pictures here the same horse? If so, the horse pictured below has turned grey I think?????

So Charley Should I send in new photos? Or just let it be? This was Bistrol as a foal and then as a yrling,
bris.jpg
bristo3.jpg

Latest posts

Back