Color question on a filly and her sire

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
This is our 2 year old silver buckskin filly.. Her sire is a solid buckskin and her dam is a solid silver bay..

My question is, she is soooo much lighter than a lot of the other silver buckskins I've seen, so it got me thinking, and her sire's "black points" are not as dark as a typical buckskin and he has "frosting" in his mane, so is it possible that both her sire/dam carry silver and she got a "double dose?" Does her sire look like he could be carrying silver too?

Below are pictures of the filly from birth to 2 years:

Birth:

CIMG1922.jpg

Month:

Trixie17days.jpg

Weanling:

Trixiehead.jpg

Yearling:

DSCI0010.jpg

2 year old:

Trixie2.jpg

Trixie5.jpg

Her sire:

101_2683.jpg

101_2713.jpg

Her dam (VERY heavy in foal)

CIMG1786.jpg

He has sired three other foals for us (pictured below) all are full siblings and out of a typical bay pinto mare

2005 solid buckskin(she's a 4 year old now and is a darker gold color than her sire, she does not have the real black points now, but they are a tad darker than her sire's, and she too appears to have frosting in her mane, no current photos of her though)

CIMG0912.jpg

CIMG0846-1.jpg

2006 buckskin pinto (he's still got the typical buckskin color/black points but does not have the shading on his face or the darker buckskin shading anymore, no current photos)

CIMG1938.jpg

CIMG1982.jpg

2007 chestnut pinto

101_2862.jpg

The mare that I bought along with him was supposedly in foal to him and she delivered a silver dapple bay, but we're not 100% sure that that filly was actually sired by him..

Looking at the sire's mane tells me he carries the silver gene. He is more than likely not homozygous for passing it on so hence the fact that not all is foals will look or carry the silver gene. I could be wrong but my mare who carries the silver gene has very much the same coloring in her mane.

Sire looks silver buckskin to me. I was my understanding that homozygous and heterozygous silvers look no different? Unless that is no longer the thought, I think your filly just happens to be a lighter shade.

Jessi

I'd say her sire is silver buckskin. She could definitely be double silver...you can have her tested. i have a silver dapple mare that is homozygous for silver and I could always tell. She doesn't get dapples and is just VERY silver. I don't really know how to describe it but if you saw her in person you'd know. And her daughter that is homozygous for black with one silver gene is a very very dark silver dapple which made me test her for the black gene. I own the granddam as well and she is one black, one red, and one silver and she looks like a your average silver dapple. The other two are different--could just be a fluke! Call me crazy
default_wink.png

hmm interesting!
default_laugh.png
So *if* she did get silver gene from both mom and dad would she likely be homozygous silver? May have to test her just for fun!

hmm interesting!
default_laugh.png
So *if* she did get silver gene from both mom and dad would she likely be homozygous silver? May have to test her just for fun!
If both of her parents carry one copy of the silver gene, she had:

a 25% chance of not getting the silver gene (since she looks silver, you can probably rule this out)

a 50% chance of getting a silver gene from either her mother or her father, and a normal gene from the other

parent(heterozygous for silver)

a 25% chance of having inherited a silver gene from both her mother and her father (homozygous for silver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm going to be the odd one out here, but not knowing any better (and I'm NO expert on color although I do find it fascinating and study it a lot) I would not have thought the sire to be silver. I would have thought him to have a bit of sun bleaching, but not silver. The filly to me just looks like any other silver buckskin I've seen. Some are lighter, some are darker. Would love to know for sure if the sire carries silver!!

H/Z and h/Z Silver looks the same.

It is often not possible to tell a Silver Buckskin just by looking at it, and, though to me the Buckskin stallion looks Buckskin, testing him would be the easiest way, instead of having a whole load of people just guessing.

Same with the filly, if you want to know if she is H/Z have her tested...you would be amazed, though, how much an animal will darken up as it matures, and, though you would not think so now, it is possible that your filly will have a dark, almost black mane and tail by the time she is four or five.

As I said, the stallion just looks Buckskin to me, I have seen a number of animals, my own mare among them, who I know to have no Silver, have far more silver frosting in mane and tail than that animal.

She appears silver dapple of some sort to me, not buckskin.

Latest posts

Back