Color predicting website

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'll be the first to admit I know NOTHING about color or genetics.

But I have three foals here that are out of the same mare and stud (the only ones I have) and they are ALL different colors. This years filly has a lot of white, last year's colt has a small amount of white and three stockings and a sock, the 2 yo colt only has two stockings and a sock. Also the yearling had the prettiest blue eyes but at about 4mos they changed and are a light brown now with no sign of blue except the lightness of the brown, or at least that is what I assumed caused them to be a light shade of brown.

The mare is black with two stockings and a small amount of white at the corinet bands and a ring of white around her tail about half way up. As she ages she is getting more white hairs throughout her body, almost like roaning.

The stud is white with black eye liner, a grey muzzle and during the summer you can see redish colored dapples on him. The man I bought him from said he would be a grey, like an Arabian grey. However that wasn't a option when I regestered him so I sent a picture and AMHR sent his papers back with him as a silver dapple.
new_shocked.gif

Silver Chestnuts are NOT Silver Bays. Naviaux is wrong *gasp*, in fact I have found quite a few inaccuracies but that one stands out!! Sorrel hiding Silver does not automatically have Agouti at all. You need to do your homework a little more thoroughly, I am afraid. Since I have no need to use your facility I obviously will not pay to find out just how accurate/inaccurate your findings are, BUT guaranteeing your results is going to cost you a lot of money, and basing your findings on a book is a little shortsighted. Sorry to sound so harsh, you are not charging a lot, I know, but, since most people are unable to accurately identify the colour of their horses in the first place, you may be in for a bit of trouble. What about LWO in minimal and undetected?? What about Sorrel hiding Agouti/not hiding Agouti?? Or hiding Silver?? Or Black hiding Cream// Or not hiding Cream??Since there are no chances to "trail run" your facility how on earth can people tell wether or not they wish to use it??

I agree with some of the others who say how can you guarantee the results would be correct when you can't be sure the colors submitted are right.

I also feel kinda jaded tonight so will add that guarantees on the net from people you don't know, whose reputation you can't really verify.... are worth pretty much nothing! We're paid up through 2009 with our Website hosting company and are dead in the water! Undoubtably they didn't pay their bills so the servers were turned off. The guarantee I have in writing means nothing when the person's phone is disconnected and their emails bounce.

So if you want the business of this Miniature Horse community you may want to be more forthcoming in exchanging post and information.

Debi

DebiM said:
We're paid up through 2009 with our Website hosting company and are dead in the water!  Undoubtably they didn't pay their bills so the servers were turned off.  The guarantee I have in writing means nothing when the person's phone is disconnected and their emails bounce.
Debi

445556[/snapback]

Aw Debi, that REALLY sucks! BIG TIME! I am so sorry this has happned.
no.gif

ColorFoal said:
It is really a matter of what you call it is what you call it.  Potato, potato.

This is by far the biggest problem that we have faced so far.  People get their egos involved in their terminology...  and that's it's mostly the geneticists.

Okay, closing the browser.  I am serious this time.

- Chuck

445471[/snapback]

YOu are right you can call it ego if you want and call any color whatever you want to ?

However if someone has what appears to be a palomino and is a palomino yet it is"hiding" the silver gene then how on earth would you or anyone else be able to say this is the color the foal would be money back if i am wrong? same goes with cremello or perlino hiding the silver gene or the gray gene for that matter.

Well either way I am sure you will find those to use your site and wish you success however.. talking about egos and then saying but I am right see ya doesnt seem like a way at all to get business but hey that is just me
wacko.gif

I heard about the response above and wanted to make clear that it was NOT a personal attack of any kind. The geneticists seem to be the ones that get their ego involved about a color having only one name and what everyone else calls it is wrong. We are trying to accomodate the real world where every breed seems to have a different name for the same color, but no one is wrong (unless they call a cremello a black).

As far as the chestnut/palomino/cremello silver hiding stuff goes, the calculators default as heterozygous silver for these colors but gives the user to change it if they want. So it is accounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back