Color people, ? for you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is Chrissy who is 5 and solid, no chrome, no markings, etc.

She just came up with these markings on her back

starting about a month ago. It began at the wither, and now it's spreading wider and

down her back.

I'm figuring its lacing but what I can't figure out is why she would get this at

5 years old. Isn't that pretty late in life to start color changes?

Her sire and dam are also solid.

I think it looks pretty cool. Take a look and see what you think.

Chrissyslacing.jpg

default_yes.gif
Looks like lacing to me.........We have several here that have that much and some with a lot more......

Thanks for confirming that its lacing MaryAnn. That's what I thought. Just don't know why.

I know it has been associated with rainrot which is not the case here, and appaloosa so I'm

going to do some digging into the background a little bit.

Marty I think lacing is associated with a pinto (sabino?) gene, and it usually is later in life when it appears

we have a silver bay mare with lacing I think its pretty cool

Loir

I thought I had read some where that it was thought to be associated with Sabino, but I'm not positive.

I have a 3 year old sorrel mare that has a little lacing.

This is the lacing on Miranda's back...It is the most visable during the summer months

Miranda08-26-07Lacing2_20070825_004.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

Wow, Miranda's got cool coloring going on all over the place!!
default_wub.png

I also agree that it's "lacing" Marty. Lacing "can" appear on young horses, but generally, you don't start seeing it until after they are a few years old.

Ditto in regard to the Sabino gene..........although it hasn't been totally proven by testing (yet). They DO know it's genetic, though.

I have an appy bred mare that did this last year. She was 2 1/2 when she got those white marks on her back.

Back