Color matters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
How does it influence you when buying a mini?

Color matters a lot to me, and it's pretty true for most of us.

Color is just a fun bonus to me, conformation comes first and foremost, always. But, there are times color affects conformation and that is when it can matter. Particularly on pintos, markings can make a horse look longer or steeper than they really are. On solids crooked blazes can make a head look off and asymetrical front stockings can make a driving horse look out of rhythm.
There are a few other things I want to stay away from when it comes to color. I would rather not have a horse with a white tail because of the cleaning aspect but it's not a major issue. The only colors I do actually avoid for color's sake are cremello, perlino, etc as I don't want to risk sunburn. They are not found very often in the lines I like, thankfully. I also stay away from LWO+ horses.
On a whole, I've been blessed to find quality horses in amazing colors and patterns and I consider that an incredible bonus!

Not a lick for me. The first thing I always look for is willingness to work as a team with me. Is the horse curious, interested and responsive (reactive) to me? Second to that is movement, then conformation - which one does not guarantee the other. I've seen horses with drool-worthy conformation who have nothing but yawns for movement, and horses that are close and crooked but have schwung for days! If I can find the perfect package with 4 nice socks and a blaze, even better!!! But colour is the last thing on my list.

I don't like grays or tobianos. I love overo and a light buckskin. So I tend to avoid the ones I don't like and look harder at the ones I do. But I won't pick a horse based on color, it's a preference not a must-have. But it needs to be a really nice horse if it's a gray tobiano for me to even consider it.

Like Marsha, I prefer dark bays with no markings, and other solid colors, no chrome. Which naturally is why I have a pinto with four high whites and the biggest snip on his nose you've ever seen! 🤣 Seriously though, while he isn't my first choice of color, he checked a lot of other boxes...and his little pink nose never burns, and his white stays white even though I am the laziest groomer on the planet! As long as you don't pat him too hard, then you see the dust clouds form...

My boys are rescues that I "adopted" (for a crazy fee), from a horse rescue foundation in NY. I wasn't thinking about color or confirmation, I just wanted to give a couple of minis a good home. I know nothing about their histories or what their capabilities may be, but we're having fun figuring it out. Rocky is a short, stocky red roan paint (pinto?) and Cooper is a tall (38") cow hocked blue roan, probably the reasons that they were being sold at auction. I think they're both adorable. If I were to buy a "real" miniature horse, I would get a flaxen chestnut with good confirmation.

I would love to have a purple horse, now that would be awesome! LOL LOL! 🥳🥳 My horse has to be pretty and cute and must be able to pull me around in a cart. Black horses and silver dapples are my fav! White bling and chrome are a bonus. Love horses with blue eyes and I love size A minis the most. ♥️

I really want an Appaloosa mini, but when we met our sweet girl Squirt, her personality won. None of our girls probably have good conformation, but I love them all the same. ❤️

Squirt, as mentioned above. She has strong spots in the summer on her butt! (I got my Appaloosa)
A03C3DE5-1B83-4DE6-90AA-A91071A6763F.jpeg

Color doesn't matter much to me--I am as happy with a plain solid chestnut as I am with a pinto or black. Conformation and action are the 2 things that sell me on a horse. Silver black and silver bay are my favorite colors, so if the conformation I like comes with one of those colors, all good.

Latest posts

Back