Color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DottedWillowFarm

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can give me some help on color. This filly was just born on April 1st. Is she bay? All the bay foals I've seen have had light legs at birth. This filly also has blue eyes. I know they will likely darken as she matures, but is it common for bay foals to be born with eyes this color?

Attachments

• DSCF6057.JPG
    DSCF6057.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6051.JPG
    DSCF6051.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2019-04-02-23-01-48.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-02-23-01-48.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 21
People who are experts on black foals with a cream gene might weigh in on this and educate me, it will be interesting to see how he sheds out. He looks bay but there may be a surprise in there. Really nice sturdy little guy, congrats!

Thank you!
This is a picture of the mare. She is registered as a sorrel roan appaloosa on her papers. Her previous owner had her for several years and said she had palomino and buckskin foals out of different stallions and believes her to carry the cream gene.

The stallion is a black few spot appaloosa.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_1.jpg
    IMG_20190406_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10
What color? A very pretty color! I would say bay, but I am not a color expert. I like what looks like a partial stripe in his blanket. Maybe he has some dun factor in there somehow???
He's adorable.

Oh my goodness that is an adorable baby! Just gorgeous! He has the dark legs like a buckskin but the coat color I would say bay or chestnut and that appy blanket...so flashy! ❤☺

That's very interesting. I have never seen a foal that color, but I am new to minis. Usually anything that starts black doesn't stay that way. My guess is going to be that it sheds out with a lot of roaning, like momma but that is just a guess.

I am anxious to see how the shed color will be on this cutie.

She looks like she will be bay but I am definitely not a color expert. But I am very interested to see what the outcome will be!

My friend had a baby that was black at birth but at around 1 1/2 she she started changing and she is now a appy. Can't wait to see want you're little girly will turn out to be

Latest posts

Back