Color help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I have two foals whose papers need to be sent in, the first is my colt, he was born a bright gold palomino color with a white swirl on his forehead, after he was clipped he has a creamy roanish rump and black hairs up his legs and rump, I am maybe guessing, sooty palomino with the sabino gene?

DSC00033_edited.jpg

after he was clipped

beach2008060.jpg

beach2008052.jpg

Then there is my filly that looked like a darker palomino when born, but after she was clipped, I was thinking sorrel, but Her legs have dark spots, maybe silver bay?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/min...ct/DSC00150.jpg

now clipped

beach2008068.jpg

beach2008066.jpg

beach2008070.jpg

Thanks, Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
The sire to both is the satallion in my avatar, a palomino with white socks, the dam to the first one is a VERY sooty buckskin with an irregular white blaze, white chin, and 3 out of four legs have jagged white markings up to the ankles. The colt also has grey eyes with lots of blue flecksin them. In the second pic of him, it is not shadowing, they are black hairs going up the back of his thigh.

The dam to the second one is partially in the photo, she is listed as a buckskin with blue eyes, she has a dark dorsal year round, so who knows without testing.

Carolyn

Oh, taking another look -- yes, I agree with Jane regarding dun. I missed those leg stripes and see that distinct dorsal on her dam
default_wub.png
I think silver bay dun...

I have always questioned the dam of the filly (second foal) being a bay dun or a dunskin, her papers have her listed as a buckskin.

The dams grandparents are Glenns Southern Rouge. Spring Valleys Native Love (on top) and Flying W Farms Dream Merchant and Brewers Glamour Girl (on the bottom) Does anyone know if there are offspring that carry the dun factor in these lines?

Thanks a bunch,

Carolyn

I say palomino on the first and sorrel or red dun on the second.

[i have a silver bay that imitates palomino quite well, but she clips out a very silvery white color, not golden like yours.]

Latest posts

Back