color help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I think she is a silver bay like her dam but want to be sure for registration

missy08smallemail5-6-08.jpg

Dam is silver Bay

Sire is smutty Buckskin

We named her "Eagles Ring Revolution" because she likes to jump and spin in circles next to her mom when they first go outside.

Thanks

Lori

Can someone tell me please what is it that identifies this foal as a silver bay rather than just bay? I have a bay filly out of a silver buckskin and a bay mare and have been trying to figure out if she might carry the silver gene like her sire does (or is thought to, he has not been tested but has chocolate points and amber eyes). Her mane seems black but her tail is an odd silvery grey except in the center where her black dorsal (counter shading I expect) runs thro it.

She is a cutie!! I too would like to know the difference between bay and silver bay

here is her dam

she is a silver bay

her tail is the same flaxen as her mane

if you notice she has black hairs on her legs which a chestnut/sorrel can't have

missy2.jpg

here is a better close up of her new filly you can see

the silver in her mane (if she was a bay it would be black) her mane and tail will be the same as dams

and when she was wet first born I could see how dark her legs were under the white

she will lose the white in her legs and it will turm black

missy08smallemail.jpg

that is at least my understanding

please correct me or add to this if i'm wrong

Yes, definately a silver bay.
default_yes.gif

Reinmaker, you can tell the difference because a silver bay has a "smokey" looking mane. The foal you are describing sounds bay (no silver), since you said the mane is black. The tail is typical of a bay foal...they most often have sort or grey strips on each side and more black in the middle.

Thanks Mona. I actually believe her to be bay but the tail is a bit unusual. The silver you speak of is to my eyes more white and I expect that in a foal with a black tail at the outer edge. What I am referring to is the main body of tail hair which is an odd silvery grey colour. I have never had the opportunity to see a sliver bay foal so was/am unsure of what cues could identify one. On my comp the mane on the above foal still looks black altho I will take that as a failure of pics to be really clear. I do know without a doubt that Dyna's mane is solid black so if that is the identifier she did not get the silver gene from her dad.

Latest posts

Back