COLOR GENETICS on AMHA registration papers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Listen up peeps! COLOR GENETICS! You will soon be able to have your tested color genetics of your horse put on your AMHA Registration certificates! Frank designed and made the presentation at the BOD meeting. It passed with flying colors. So now that white horse that is actually a black horse can have both the visual description AND the genetic description on it's papers. I am so excited! What a blessing for the breeders who are wanting to add a specific color or pattern to their herd! AMHA may be the ONLY horse breed registry to offer both phenotype and genotype on the registration certifications (I need to research that) :eek:)

a copy of your color test must be sent in so get your foals tested! Or your already registered horses can be done too for a small fee.

It is still fantastic.... So if I send in the color test results on our new colt (below) they will register him as silver bay and not chestnut (pinto)? Will they add that he is homozygous for tobiano, or is it just color that will go on the papers?

Jake_5_31_1 month.jpg

Mary, they will only add what you send a copy of the test result for. This JUST passed this morning. It's going to take a little time for the office to get set up, but I can tell you, I will be sending in copies of my foal's DNA color tests with their registration applications. There is supposed to be no charge if done at the time of original registration and a nominal charge if done at a later time when it takes more time to 'work' the existing certificate.

Maybe I didn't answer that fully......they will add the color and any pattern that the horse has test results for.

Last edited by a moderator:
For once, procrastinating is working in my favor! Haven't sent the registration applications in yet, but do have the color test results back so I can send them in together!

WHOOO HOOO!!!!!! Great job Frank and AMHA!

Charlotte, when you know when that actually starts, will you post it?

That's awesome! I almost wasn't allowed to show at the World one year because Hawk's papers say pinto and he looks to be solid but he actually an overo. So, it helps people who are showing as well!

Better late than never! At last the AMHA comes, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century!!

Thankyou for doing this....

It sure would be nice if all the registries would get on board. It would really help breeders who want a specific color and pattern.

This is wonderful news!! this will be such a valuable tool. thank you so much for getting this implemented. Speaking of adding it on to foal registrations, will the horse need to be DNA'd first? will the color testing match the horses pq dna? maybe I worded that right..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back