Color Folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
I am very stumped on this one. My mare which is a silver bay(her Dam was a palomino) her Sire was a sorrel)

Sire is Brown as thats whats on his papers and he looks brown to me. His sire is gray, very white looking and his dam is pitch black

So I breed my silver bay mare to this brown stallion and this is what I got!
default_new_shocked.gif

(Color?) Filly with sky blue eyes. She is 2.5 months old has pink skin.

I am putting pictures of both parents and her so y'all can see.

The question is... How did they come up with a color like this.
default_unsure.png

I love her no matter what color she is and boy is she going to be tiny!
default_wub.png

Joyce

billijocolor.jpg

I am very stumped on this one. My mare which is a silver bay(her Dam was a palomino) her Sire was a sorrel)

Sire is Brown as thats whats on his papers and he looks brown to me. His sire is gray, very white looking and his dam is pitch black

default_new_shocked.gif

default_unsure.png

default_wub.png

Joyce
Point one, mare can NOT be Silver Bay if her dam was Palomino and her sire a Sorrel. Silver Bay is Black Based and Palomino and Sorrel are both Red based. IF your mare is indeed Silver Bay (and she does look it in the photo) either her sire was also a Silver Bay rather than Sorrel or her dam was a light Silver Bay or Silver Buckskin rather than Palomino. The other possibility is that your mare may not be Silver Bay, but a very Smutty Palomino????

Point two, Brown sire can easily be hiding a Cream gene. His Gray sire could have been Palomino or Buckskin, or even a Smokey Black before graying.

Point three, your filly certainly appears to be a double dilute (Cremello or Perlino) with her blue eyes and pink skin. If she is (as she appears), the dam must actually be a very Smutty Palomino rather than a Silver Bay.

Point four, Is it possible that one parent may be Champagne??? It sometimes mimicks Cream.

Sounds like testing is in order.

If the dam IS a silver bay (which she appears to be) and the sire IS hiding a dilution gene (which he could);

Wouldn't it be possible that she carries both a silver AND a dilution gene ???
default_unsure.png

That could account for the light coloration as well.

I agree that testing is the only avenue to prove what she REALLY is.....

Is the full body picture of the clipped foal the current filly (not double dilute), or the dam as a foal?

Jill, its the filly clipped. I clipped her about 3 weeks ago.

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:

default_new_shocked.gif

default_unsure.png

default_wub.png

Joyce
Point one, mare can NOT be Silver Bay if her dam was Palomino and her sire a Sorrel. Silver Bay is Black Based and Palomino and Sorrel are both Red based. IF your mare is indeed Silver Bay (and she does look it in the photo) either her sire was also a Silver Bay rather than Sorrel or her dam was a light Silver Bay or Silver Buckskin rather than Palomino. The other possibility is that your mare may not be Silver Bay, but a very Smutty Palomino????

Point two, Brown sire can easily be hiding a Cream gene. His Gray sire could have been Palomino or Buckskin, or even a Smokey Black before graying.

Point three, your filly certainly appears to be a double dilute (Cremello or Perlino) with her blue eyes and pink skin. If she is (as she appears), the dam must actually be a very Smutty Palomino rather than a Silver Bay.

Point four, Is it possible that one parent may be Champagne??? It sometimes mimicks Cream.

Sounds like testing is in order.

Can't a chestnut carry the silver gene? ie. the sire of the mare could have carried silver.

Are you sure the foal has bright blue eyes? She doesn't look it to me in the upper picture. The dam looks silver bay and the sire also looks silver to me. The foal looks like a very light silver from what I'm seeing.

I agree this cannot happen and am willing to bet that the 'palomino' (with white mane and tail) might have been a silver of some sort.... Shoot, even the sorrel could have been misregistered, with someone thinking that it was a sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail.

Also, the stallion there does not really look 'brown' to me.... looks like a silver dapple of some sort, albeit a darker color. If he was 'brown' (which is in the 'bay' family) would he not still have black points then- his mane/forelock color is not black, but actually much lighter than even his body color.

The dam is silver for sure, and I think the foal is another version of the previous 'palomino' listed- and is actually a very light silver (chestnut/sorrel) of some sort?? Not palomino for sure as the parents do not appear to have what is required to 'make one'?

I am no expert, just saying what I see here with my own two eyeballs... LOL

Your pretty girl looks like she has brown eyes...... (does she?), if so, she's probably a light palomino.

Your stallion, being brown, could very well be hiding a dilute gene.

Here is a pic of a true double dilute and her sire. Your filly doesn't appear to have pink skin in her photo...

diannadad.jpg

Is there any reason this foal cannot be a Smoky Cream??

That way only one parent would need to be misidentified.

Sire looks Smoky Black to me- this would explain the Cream and the fact that he looks Brown.

Dam does look Silver Bay, it is true.

In the clipped picture the foal does look as if she has shading on her head....do you have any pictures of her before you clipped her...clipped pictures are pretty much useless for telling colour (apart from showing shading that you can't see so clearly in full coat
default_wink.png
)

Yes she has blue eyes for sure. Here is a pic of them and also a different picture of the dam and foal.

I am going to guess that the colors of the Dams parents were not right. So I am going to have all of them color tested and even the filly. That way I will know for sure.

Thanks to all that responded!
default_saludando.gif

Joyce

billie_jo_1.jpg

blueeye.jpg

IMO, foal is palomino with dam being a silver bay and sire a faded smokey black, tossing the cream gene in there.. Wouldn't be surprised if the stallion's sire was palomino that grayed...

The filly is NOT double dilute at all. See how dark her pigment on her muzzle is? And even around her eyes, the skin is not the pinky-pink of a double dilute and will likely become darker with maturity. She's beautiful, but she is not double dilute.

Her blue eyes may be from the sire as he has a blue eye, but that is not a double dilute foal. She may be either light silver bay or palomino but is not double dilute.

Here are my double dilute (perlino) mares as fillies for reference...

Ericas%20Big%20City%20Bomb%20Shell%201.jpg

ddnew2.jpg

Ericas_Sweet_as_Sugar%202.jpg

Not only is the foal not double dilute but you can see clearly it does not have pink skin!!

Blue eyes do not a CrCr make, sorry!!!

Palomino with blue eyes.

Mare, I would guess, is Silver Bay, sire is Smoky Black- it does not always show, as Freeland can attest, but often it does, and I think this is a case.

If theses are AMHA horses I would just ignore whatever it says on the papers, anyway!!! :DOH!

Here is the sire of my stallion. He has always been this color.

He is gray but very white. His sire FWF Blue Boy was also the same color.

I have been given the permission from the owner to use this picture.

quo.jpg

I have to say that the mare looks like a silver bay (probably mares sire was a silver bay also) and the stallion also looks like he carries the silver gene. So I'm going say the filly is going to be a silver dapple.

It will be interesting to see what she really is.

Your stallion's sire has a base color, the gray gene is a modifier and is like a 'blanket' that 'grows' with time covering up the original color.. Gray is dominant, which means the resulting horse must have at least one gray parent, since you said your guy's sire's sire was the same color, that's where he got the graying gene, but the gray gene only has a 50% chance of being passed on, and obviously your pinto did not get the gray gene (at least he doesn't appear to at this age). The guy picture above is a "white gray", in other words he's finished the graying process and all the color pigmentation has been 'washed' out.. If you can track down the colors of the horses in your stallion's pedigree you might be able to get an idea of what his true base color is..

Mom definitely silver bay, sire looks silver black to me, foal palomino.

I say she got the blue eyes from pinto daddy but is not (and cannot be with a non-dilute mother) double dilute.

So the sire obviously carries cream..... it's just to me he looks silver black (could be my computer screen distorting things). Anyone else think he just may be smokey silver black? Thus appearing silver, but having cream to make a palomino?

Just a thought, that's my guess.

With the dark skin showing on her nose, she is NOT a double dilute. I agree with the others about that.

I really do feel the cream gene is coming from her daddy's side. Her mom is a classic silver bay.

Is color genetics FUN????
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back