COLOR EXPERTS-New filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
This little girl was born last week. Mama is reg as a chestnut and sire is buckskin. Filly is actually darker than she appears in the pic. Almost a charcoal color on her back. Not sure what to put on her papers. Thanks for any help!

histepperbaby2.jpg
histepperbaby5.jpg

She sure is PRETTY! I have no idea what color she would be with that light pigment like that. The only thing that comes to mind, would be maybe some shade of champagne??

MOm looks to be a liver chestnut with possible silver, and I would guess the baby to be the same.

Momma looks silver dapple/bay to me.

I think baby is a silver, a smokey black or a smokey silver.

The creme can come from dad.

I don't think she is Silver and it does not show on Sorrel so Mama cannot be that- I think she is a Liver + Pangaré

I disagree with you Rabbit. Silver DOES show on sorrel....lightens the mane & tail & fetlocks to flaxen/silver. (I'm not saying that EVERY mini with light mane & tail & fetlocks are Silver Sorrels, but when present, this is how Silver manifests itself on Sorrels.) But, that being said...this mare is too dark to be sorrel. I DO, however, feel that she is carrying silver...either a Chocolate Silver or Silver Bay.

But.....with the light coloring around the foal's muzzle & eyes, I feel she may be a Champagne.
yes.gif
Her "Buckskin" Dad could be Champagne as well.

Dona we will never agree on this one!!
smile.gif
The current belief is that Silver has effect on Black only, I accept that you , after many years of seeing it, may be able to tell which Sorrels of your own bloodlines are carrying Silver but this does not mean that Sorrels with lighter manes and tails, or with manes and tails of a certain sort, are doing so. The proof is everywhere in England where, with Silver virtually unknown, there are horses and ponies that have this colouration without any in put from Silver. When I first showed pictures of Rabbit a number of people tried to insist he had Silver, in spite of my knowing for sure that he does not. Were you to provide proof that you are always right in your assumptions- ie, in the absence of testing, a Silver foal from a Sorrel mare, I would be more than happy to help get the "rules" changed!! (Seriously) As it is we have seen examples on here of Sorrel mares, carrying Silver, who show NO visual clue to it at all, so I am afraid I must stick to my original belief- Silver does not affect Red.
smile.gif

I also stick to my original "diagnosis", I do not this this filly is Silver, I think she is Pangaré- but I would love to see more pictures- preferably of her unclipped as this is most telling.

I agree with Dona........that mare is silver, and I would call her a Chocolate Silver. When were these pics taken, if it was recent Mom should be getting a winter coat which means she's darker now than in her summer coat, am I right?

Baby is very interesting.......do you have any pictures of her Sire??? Does baby have any mottling around her eyes or genitalia?

As to her color, I'll admit, I dunno..........

Other than that -- Oh Lisa!!!! I'm sooooo glad you have a beautiful new little girl & that all went well. As for my own coloring -- I'm tickled pink with her!! She's gorgeous! You should be very pleased. -- k
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Lisa, I have no idea but you should hide her here in the hollow, Missy is lonesome.
rolleyes.gif
She's just lovely.

She is very nice. I would say that her color looks chestnut and registries might want you to put that or liver chestnut, but my best guess is that under those white legs lies some shade of black and that she is genetically a silver bay with maybe some pangare - just like mama. This is just my opinion and no better than any of the others.

Fizz-- Here are a few more pics of her if it helps.

She is unclipped in all of them. Her dam has more of a brown coat with a reddish cast on her face and hindquarters. I can't find a hint of red on the filly. Depends on how the light hits her, but sometimes she looks "charcoal" and sometimes more chocolate, but no red. The dam actually goes darker in the summer(with lots of dapples) and lightens up a wee bit in the winter.

I don't have a pic of Dad, but he is a buckskin that shows a lot of "dark" throughout his coat when clipped if that makes any sense at all.

Soooo alrighty then! I'm even more confused than ever about what color to put on her papers! Maybe Mom isn't even registered the right color?

Thanks for all the kind comments and your color suggestions
biggrin.gif

HSfilly9.jpg

HSBaby4.jpg

HSBaby2.jpg

makingnewfriends.jpg

HSBaby3.jpg

Hmmm, I think the dam is a silver bay and baby is a silver something. Sure doesn't look like a normal silver dapple but I'm not sure what she is.

Hmm, my first thought was champagne, but now, I am thinking some shade of silver! She is GORGEOUS though.
wub.gif
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back