Color experts....I have some questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
My stallion is a true grulla with a tiny white snip on his nose. He is LWO+. His sire was a bay and his dam was a red dun overo. I bred him to my palomino mare, this is the third time. Their first foal was a red dun frame overo, brown eyes. The second was a silver bay angel filly (birth defect). Now, their 3rd foal together is a palomino colt with sky blue eyes.

How did I get a palomino with this cross? I haven't tested Tommy for anything other than LW.

His other foals have been 2 grulla pintos, another red dun tovero, a silver grulla and a bay dun.

Your stallion is Ee meaning he has one gene for the dominant black (from his sire) and one gene for red (from his dam). He happened to pass on the e this time and the foal had to get an e from the dam (since that's all a palomino would have). So the foal ended up ee (red-based). Then the mom also passed on the cream gene and you end up with a palomino.
default_smile.png
Does that make sense?

He got the color from his dam. She is palomino and passed the red and the cream onto him.

Last edited by a moderator:
One, are you sure the palomino mare is palomino and not silver bay (I have a silver bay that is pale enough to pass for palomino)?

Two, They produced a silver bay before. So perhaps this foal is a very pale silver bay.

Just another color option to think about. Posting pics would help. Hint, Hint.

How do you get a particular color on a foal? 2 options: You either buy it or you sell the mare bred. :DOH!

How do you get a particular color on a foal? 2 options: You either buy it or you sell the mare bred. :DOH!
default_new_rofl.gif
Sounds like your horses have been talking to my rabbits!

I swear their slogan is "How can we drive her crazy today?!"
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...photos.....

Momma (an older photo)

grace03.jpg

Daddy

tom01.jpg

The kiddo.........

stranger08.jpg

OK...photos.....

Momma (an older photo)

grace03.jpg

Daddy

tom01.jpg

The kiddo.........

stranger08.jpg
Mare and foal sure look palomino. So, stallion must be Ee (carry one copy of black and red); and mare threw her cream gene into the mix for this foal. Pretty darn cute little guy. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back