color enhancing shampoo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
I ended up body clipping Ace... I started to just do his face & legs.. but didn't see a good place to stop and blend
rolleyes.gif

A freind uses gold color enhancing shampoo on her palamino QH..

said to use it on Ace..

Can you use it in AMHR shows?

Would like to hear if anyone ever uses it??

Last edited by a moderator:
whistling.gif

I see lots of readers of this post and no replies
laugh.gif

So , OK I give up either NO ONE uses color enhanceing shampoo or they do not want to say they do.
unsure.gif

I've heard of it but never used it. I would love to get some (even though i dont show really). It would be fun to see how much of a drastic change it would make. Coco is clean about 99% of the time bc im a freak about it ...but i would love to try this stuff.

Im obsesed w/ making co' look his best.

I am interested in knowing too, and keep checking this post. I think most people are either concerned with getting white parts whiter and black horses blacker and someone with golden colors just hasn't seen the post yet.

YES...I know the color enhancers are allowed at the shows and I know almost everyone uses something or another. Just take a look at the wash stalls sometime when they are busy and you will see everything under the sun.

I have a palomino pinto who I would like to enhance his gold areas more but have not come across anything that seems to be making much of a difference.

a pinch of paprika added to feed daily brings out color tones but mostly the red tones and looks great on one horse and not so good on another. I tried it and saw a difference but he got kind of a rusty look in some areas. I've heard of a product to feed them called Gold as Sun but I have not tried that yet.

I did get a tip that did work, but I couldn't take the smell. I was told after I shampoo him to rub mayo in all over, let it sit and then wash it out really good. It really made his pinto markings pop out and brought out more color too and made him really shiny. My problem is I am pregnant and super sensitive to smells and he smelled like a sandwich to me and when he would start to sweat and I was driving him I got this hot smelly mayo mixed with horse smell drifting back at me.

I assume because of all the oils in it he also got dirty a LOT faster and one good roll in the dirt meant a lot of scrubbing with shampoo to get clean again.

OK, I'll bite
biggrin.gif
I have used Quick Color and Quick Silver both and have just recently tried quick black. In my opinion (for what it's worth) you'll see more shine and maybe a "slightly" darker appearance, but it really doesn't cause a drastic change. What it does it have coloring in it that the light refracts off of and it enhances the color of the hair. I like the Quick Silver and Color, but I'm still deciding on the Quick Black. It really is Black and probably would work great on an actual black, but it also said it would give a mahogany tone to bays etc. Well, it left really weird streaks on ours and even though they went away when she dried, let me tell ya I was sweatin'. Like a dummy, we tried it the morning of my son's 4-H show and he'd worked so hard to get her ready that I would have kicked myself if the marks had stayed. I also have a friend who feeds a coat darkening supplement and it seems to do a good job. If you stall during the day, you can start to see a change in some horses within two weeks. Anyway, whatever you try good luck.

I use ALOT of Quic shampoos, I'm not as fond of the Quic color as I am the Quic Silver and Black. I'm not too sure what you could use on a buckskin or a palamino as I am grays, silvers and bays. I have heard of people using oil treatements on their horses after clipping? I have used a new Pantene shampoo for brunettes that is really light, personally I would try it on a buckskin myself, but I have never tried it. It might be something to look into.

I use the QuicColor on everyone including the pintos. I really like it - but, you have to wash with it frequently to get the full effects. It won't make a brown horse darker, but it does "brighten" the colors and adds a glimmer effect.

I'm going to be the opposite and say that I was never fond of the Quick shampoos. In the past I have used Tomlyn shampoos that you can find on Jeffers. They have a product called Fiery Bronze. Its for your reddish type horses.

I use Quicksilver on white markings, and it makes a huge difference. I've also used the color enhancing shampoos for red horses (don't remember what kind, though--sorry), and it did not make any difference at all--definitely not worth the extra cost. I did, however, recently body clip my sorrel horse with only a 10 blade rather than a 15, and that actually did make a difference. Her color was much richer than usual after a clipping. Also, if you use Ultra Hot Oil after you clip, it restores a lot of the color.

Latest posts

Back