Color classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how you determine which color class you show in? Is it by how your horse is marked or by how he is registered? I have a gelding that I think(just my opinion) should have probably been registered a bay pinto, but was registered as a bay. He doesn't have a lot of white. Has three white stockings and then a little stripe that comes up one back hip. Should he be in the solid or multi-color class?

Donna

Can someone tell me how you determine which color class you show in? Is it by how your horse is marked or by how he is registered? I have a gelding that I think(just my opinion) should have probably been registered a bay pinto, but was registered as a bay. He doesn't have a lot of white. Has three white stockings and then a little stripe that comes up one back hip. Should he be in the solid or multi-color class?

Donna
You show them how they "visually" appear. (not how they are registered) For instance....I've seen many Pintos who have grayed out to white, being shown in "solid" classes.

If your gelding has white markings up his hip (above the hock) that is easily seen....yes, he is a pinto & should be shown in "multi-color" class. Altho, pintos with very minimal white on them usually do not place well in "color" class. The judges are "usually" looking more for 50/50 color marked evenly.

I would think to show him in the solid class, as he might show pinto markings, with not a ton of white. horses in the color class are usually 50% white or more with markings...

In my opinion if he's not solid then you shouldn't put him in solid. I heard a judge once remark, "how am I supposed to judge this? There's only one solid color horse in here!"

I have the same situation, I have an appaloosa bred, and registered, filly but she is still solid - no appy markings showing yet, so I will be putting her in the "solid" class. I was told your classes are checked over for you before you enter so you'll be notified if your horse cannot be shown in a class you entered him/her into because of a certain reason.

I would put him in the multi-color class if he has socks and a spot on his body that is white - if he were completely solid all one color (or 2 colors such as buckskin which is recognized as a solid color) then put him in solid but he isn't so multi-color class it is!

I would second what Dona advises.

A horse is pinto if he has white on his body (as opposed to legs and face), and thereful a "multi-color" horse.

Pintos and Appaloosa go in multi-color, anything else is solid color.

the shows i have been to do not allow you to enter a horse with pinto markings in solid color.

Latest posts

Back