Color Class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlersminis

Reaction score
I was considering taking one of my minis to a color class at a local show, and I was wondering...what are the judges looking for exactly? Most "wow" factor? Do they look at conformation at all in the color class? Thanks in advance!

Color class is about what color the judge likes best in the ring that day. That's pretty much it for AMHR where conformation isn't a factor. With AMHA, I think, conformation is supposed to be weighted 10% (someone else will know for sure). Grooming is also usually a factor in how well a horse places in color class.

Like Jill said I think it is what the judge likes it seems in any of the fun show classes I have been in. It usually says open to Pinto and Appys.

I thought it was 80% colour and 20% confirmation but I would have to go look it up.

It is fun and its an extra class to go into.

Zipper, I was being lazy before but just looked it up. You are right, it is 20% based on conformation with AMHA
default_yes.gif

Usuaully the colour classes are huge, with a wide variety of colours in each one so, when I'm judging, I look for the best example of a black, sorrel, dapple grey, buckskin, etc., and the best black pinto, sorrel pinto, grey pinto, appy, etc. I define best by such things as depth of colour, shine, patterning (in multicolour), etc. There are many factors that go into my decision. For me, it's definitely not just a matter of what I like best. :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Judy for giving us what you as a judge looks for as that will help us to understand how the class is judged.

There are two color classes (4 in AMHR A & B). One class for solid colors, and another class for anything other than a solid - appy, pinto, pintaloosa etc.

Plus they also split it by gender. Stallions & Geldings compete against each other in their color classes, and Mares compete against other mares in their color classes.

It is one of those classes there is no right or wrong.. some might prefer a blood bay others a shiny dark bay..some like a chestnut with chrome others a silver dapple- some prefer pintos over appy

Kinda like the ol Blondes, or brunettes or red heads LOL

Back