Colicking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
My colt is not eating this evening, seems lethargic and laying down uncharistically. I took him for a walk, and gave him a little mineral oil. How much could be effective? I just gave him about 1 teaspoon. Should I give him more or wait it out?

Is he rolling or nipping at his flank area??? Is he confined so that you can tell if he has had any stools today??? Have you listened to his gut???

I normally would give 20 cc of mineral oil and 5cc of Banamine then walk the horse until the pain seems to ease up.

Make sure there is fresh, cool water.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. He lays down, in the sitting up way. No rolling. He's in with my other 3 horses. He's had lumpy-cow-pie poops lately. I just thought it may be the heat. We're just about in the triple digits. We have misters on and the other's are taking it in stride. I'll check on him every hour or so.

In 12 years of horse ownership, I've had only one case of colic. She experienced all the classic signs and I called the vet immediately. Could there be any other ailments that could render him lethargic and non responsive to food?

Could there be any other ailments that could render him lethargic and non responsive to food?
Ulcers could do it, early stages of almost anything that makes them feel bad can do it. I've unfortunately been through my share of colics. Will first take temp, listen for gut sounds, check manure....and just watch their behavior for awhile. Colic doesn't always present with the classic rolling and thrashing, sometimes it's mild and they are just "off". The heat can certainly make them lethargic too - does me
default_smile.png

If I have one that's not just blatantly colicky I will try Tagamet (or grocery store equivalent). If it makes a difference, you will at least know you are on the right track and can treat appropriately with Gastroguard.

Jan

You say "colt" so I assume this is a foal? Definitely the heat can cause the symptoms he has. Our foal went through this earlier in the summer, on our first really hot day. He coped with the heat all day but by 9 pm looked like a pretty sick boy. He was still nursing but wouldn't eat anything else, was lying down (actually up & down) and just generally looked dejected. I didn't figure it was really colic--more likely heat stress--I gave him a dose of banamine (1 cc as he'd be 100 lbs or less) and got him cooled down and that perked him up a lot in just 30-45 minutes. He was all right overnight & early the next morning I clipped him (just a rough clip, to take off the long hair & leave him with a normal haircoat) and that made a huge difference. After that he coped with the hot weather quite well.

Obviously your colt may have something more going on than just heat stress, but there is a good possibility that is his problem. The babies often don't cope as well as older horses in excessively hot weather.

Just to have on hand, where do you get mineral oil? What is a store brand of mineral oil?

I hope your little guy gets better

Just a caution here, 5cc of Banamine would be way to high a dose for a foal. Dosage is 1 cc per 100 lbs.

I had a colt acting similarly vet said due to heat and the little ones not always drinking enough water. I starting giving electrolyte paste 4x a day the next two days. Now all the babies are getting a shot of electrolyte paste once a day in the heat and I am giving molassas water to encourage drinking. Those little ones will snooze right in the blazing sun even though there is a shady breezy spot about two feet away!!

I had one acting lathargic instead of a typical colic, not septic, all bloodwork came back fine, just not a thrasher.

It was sand colic. I too would check for gut sound, do a temp, check the stools for color, amount, consistancy, if possible take some of the stools from the top of the pile and float them, see if any dirt comes out (easiest way is to put on a rubber glove, grab some poo, pull the glove off with the poo ending up on the inside of the glove, add some water, any dirt will filter down into the fingers and the poo should stay in the palm prtion of the glove), and if you give banamine, give it at 1cc per 100 ponds as directed.

The sand colic was caused by hay that was cut too close to the ground, it kicked up dirt into the hay and when the hay dried out, the dirt stuck to the hay. It wasn't enough to be visible at a glance, but when the hay was soaked, the dirt settled to the bottom of the tank.

Good Luck,

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all of your ideas and thoughts. FYI...he's 17 months old. Not sure if that intitles him to be a colt still? This morning he started to roll around. The vet came out and didn't hear any sand in his gut. He gave him Flunixin and Banamine. This evening he's been laying down and not wanting to get up. I took him for a few walks. He hasn't pooped yet, so I'm not sure what this is. How long do these symptoms to on before another visit from the vet is appropriate?

not to be an alarmist but if he is still uncomfortable and not passing any manure I would call the vet again NOW it is time to get agressive with treatment but that is JMO

I will second Lisa's opinion!! Good luck with him and take care.

Jodi

He gave him Flunixin and Banamine
Flunixin meglumine IS Banamine. Banamine is just a registered trade name.

And as others have said - 5 cc of the liquid Banamine would be for a horse around 500 pounds...

Keep monitoring his vital signs. Check the colour of his gums and his capillary refill time. Listen for gut sounds!!

How long ago did the vet give him the Banamine? Did he seem more comfortable after the Banamine?

Unless he is rolling or in distress - there is no need to keep him marching

- that may only stress him further. Going for a walk every so often is fine... you said he is in with other horses? If he still is - move him so he is alone...

Latest posts

Back