colic when in season?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
I have a mare that gets colicky symptons everytime she is in season. This time she was quite bad.

The vets says she is too small to scan.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Weather etc doesn't make a difference to her. Only when she comes into season.

X

Ok thankyou its worth a try. Ill get some when I go to the feed place
default_smile.png

I have a mare that did this. We thought she was colicing but you could hear gut sounds plain as day, and she would also do this during her heat cycles. Others and including my vet thought it was a possibly cyst on her ovaries. The vet recommended taking her ovaries out. I didn't do that but instead I am giving her the SmartMare Harmony supplement by SmartPak. It took a couple of months but defiantly saw significant improvement. Very rarely have I seen her do one of these what I call "episodes" but no where near extreme like they were in the past year. Now taking her ovaries out is still not out for me, due to I have decided not to breed her due to this and also she had colic surgery late last year, I am just afraid she could not handle the pregnancy.

But this is something I would consider giving her. Also have the vet do blood work to check your mare's hormone level. It could possibly help to determine if she has a tumor. My mare was right in between mod to high so wasn't much help for me lol. I haven't retaken the blood work yet ever since I've used the supplement but its suppose to help the mare's hormone level.

I agree with JMS, it is very possible that she is experiencing pain during her cycle and that is causing the symptoms. Perhaps blood work would answer some questions. If your vet does not know how to proceed, you may want to consider a vet who specializes in equine reproduction. Spaying her is an extreme measure, so I agree trying supplements or regulating meds first.

Ok thankyou its worth a try. Ill get some when I go to the feed place
default_smile.png
Prebiotic is different than probiotic. Not sure feed stores stock prebiotics. I get mine from my supplement supplier. It works differently. The supplement for mares sounds like a good thing to try. Good luck. Colic is so scary.

My mare, Jelly Bean gets crampy when she cycles too. She doesn't roll, or sweat but stands stretched out and lays down a lot. It only lasts about a day. I just give her a dose of banemine and she's fine. It took me a while and marking on a calendar to figure it out.

Thanks guys,

Vet said she is too small for them to feel comfortable scanning. Ill get them to do bloods to check the hormone levels. She is fine at every other time x

Over the years I've had several mares like that. I have one now that has an episode during every cycle. She doesn't roll, but lays down a lot, and just generally acts 'off'. One light dose of banamine and she's fine. For 3 weeks! lol

I've tried giving her painkillers but she is quite bad with it. I am worried about mistaking it for a 'real' colic

That's why I only give a light dose, 1cc. If it's a real colic, that won't stop it, and I know it's time to call my vet. I give it orally. I never give banamine IM anymore.

Latest posts

Back