Colic prone horse, need help- (long post)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an ongoing case of ulcers then Gastroguard is hands down the best thing to get rid of them. If you are maintaining a horse who is ulcer/colic prone, I've had good luck with Stomach Soother in addition to the other things mentioned. It is natural papaya pulp, stinks but the horses love it. It's inexpensive and well tolerated.

I've had several colicky horses over the years but have one mare who is intensely colic prone. She had surgery at about 5 yrs, and has existed on Equine Sr and alfalfa since then... now 20. She has a serious colic episode at least once a year, and she can't handle coastal hay at all... just a little and she is impacted/in serious pain. We've maintained her for a long time though, just on alfalfa and Senior... along with a regular deworming program and things like Stomach Soother from time to time, so it's not a bad thing to consider.

Jan

Ranitidine is no longer used for ulcer horses, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

Something that does help in getting them to eat better is 30ml of pepto about 1/2 hour before eating to coat the stomach as they start to connect eating to the belly ache because of the increased acid production after eating.

To get horses to drink more, I have heard good things about a product called Horse Quencher, you might want to get a free sample and see if it helps him.

http://horsequencher.com

Latest posts

Back