Colic mini colt help please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
My six month colt is lethargic and seems a colicky not rolling or thrashing how much banimine can you give them! vet does not know good dosage?

Try some baking soda with warm water. Just syringe it in his mouth with a turkey baster if you have one. I buy the basters at the dollar store to always have a new one on hand.

It helps with gas colic and can't hurt him if it's something else.

If your vet doesnt know how much Banamine to give your horse then you may want a new vet. Hope he feels better soon. I am glad you called the vet.

I agree with Krissy........All vets should know it's 1cc per 100 pounds.

For a "funny" tummy/ gas colic, another home remedy is syringing 50/50 apple cider vinegar with warm water. This does NOT work with an impaction.

Syringing mineral oil is for impactions, NOT for gas colic.

My six month colt is lethargic and seems a colicky not rolling or thrashing how much banimine can you give them! vet does not know good dosage?
Why do you say colicky? If he's already lethargic I'm not sure I would give banamine. I'd have the vet out to check in person before administering anything. Is he interested in food? Just standing with head down? Does he have gut sounds?

Another possibility other than colic could be that he's got ulcers....... This is where your vet should come in.

If he is just lethargic, he would have pneumonia or something else not stomache related too..... I also would wait to hear from a vet, but I agree with the others, the dosage on banamine is very standard and if your vet doesnt know!!!!! I would find another one!

I'm sure the vet knows the dosage for Banamine just probably isn't sure about the weight of the horse. Have a potential colic examined before administering any home remedies. You can't syringe enough mineral oil to make much of a difference to an impaction and accidental aspiration (of oil into the lungs) by forcing it into them can be fatal.

You can't syringe enough mineral oil to make much of a difference to an impaction and accidental aspiration (of oil into the lungs) by forcing it into them can be fatal.

I have always thought the same thing and always cringe when I read just how many people syringe oil and all other things into a horse - it is very easy to aspirate

Update on Star and his colic. We took him strait to the UGA emergency clinic and it defiantly saved his life.

He after all of their diagnostics he went into surgery and is currently stable and improving. Prognosis looks very good. Will keep everyone updated thank you so much for all the advice. I have had more trouble with farriers and vets not familiar with these little horses. Makes me so nervous, thank god for UGA not being too far away.

fancy_colt_248x159.jpg

vet was not sure about weight on horse...and definitely way over booked with colic emergencies yesterday. We are blessed with our little man being able to get to surgery before it got worse. A good friend's horse was not so luck last night. drastic weather changes have been hard on the horses.

So glad you were able to get him to the surgical center and he is doing better

What a cute little guy! I'm glad you took him in and got him help.
default_smile.png
You were on top of that!

If there were many colics in the same area, could it have been the hay people got from the same place? Just wondering.

{{{hugs}}} for the baby getting better soon!

I would not give him any banamine. It can very easily mask symptoms and make him seem better when he is going down hill, if your still unsure have your vet out to do an examination, do not risk it, always consult your vet, if their no help find another one, colic is not somethin any one wants to mess with. Hope he feels better soon.

Dan

Another Update in case anyone was interested...He in no longer impacted, surgery worked! So far so good..I can not wait to get him home, not the same around here with out him.

Funny I have had horses for a long time and know all the dos and don't s of colic and in emergency when it my horse...i can not seem to think right! Thanks again for support and ideas I started thinking again : ) and def helped

Remember that if he was actually had his intestine cut open that you have a long road ahead of you for him to be able to recover - just "getting the impaction out" is only the first step -- he will need to be on a very wet diet, very small meals several times a day - probably little or no grain at first and you will need to monitor him very closely for water intake and poop output - your colt may actually lose some weight with this course of action because it is really important to not overfeed while his little intestine is healing - don't think that you can bring him home and just put let him go back to eating straight hay and grain - it really is a faily long road to bring him back to "normal" - taking it too fast will negate everything you just went thru to save him.

He is a cute little dickens so I am hopeful tht all will work out well for both of you.

I am not intending to sound harsh or preachy, just want to make sure your little guy gets the best outcome possible

Stacy

I had a QH mare that tore her abdomen open. With that surgery she at UC Davis Vet Hospital for a month. Then it was another month to 6 weeks before she could have light exercise other than hand walking. She didn't even have anything done to her intestines. However, this mare had the appetite of an elephant. The techs would double feed her because she got her food first and then as they got finished feeding she would bang her pan and they would come back and feed her again. I know this is a different surgery because she did not have colic. But it is a long road back from abdominal surgery on a horse.

Latest posts

Back