Colic Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
Ok gang, here is the story. I came to the farm at 4:30 for chores and found my 2 month colt Trip down. He was rolling, and struggling. The vet came, gave him betadyne (sp). Then he got him up...it took a while, but then he started walking...That is all he did, and left and told me to call with trouble...After four hours he finally pooped...what more could I do to help my guy? I feel like I should have known more, but this thing won't let me search tonight. Are there other things to help the bowl movement along?

Hmm i am going to assume that the vet gave him banimine not betadine ?

Is the foal nursing? the fact he has passed some manure is a good sign

I am sure you are right on what the vet gave him.

He is nursing, but at the moment, I have him in my back yard for observation. I plan to take him back to the farm soon. He is rambunctious. And yes he did the deed...Now, how often should I check him tonight? Every two or four hours? I live across town from the farm, I want to be prepared.

Green grass is a good laxitive. Also, do you have any mineral oil on hand? And any kind of syringes -- preferabley larger than 3 cc's? If you don't have any mineral oil, you can find small bottles at most drugstores.

The mineral oil will "lube" his insides.....

MA

Well, I took the boy back to momma and immediately he started the rolling routine...so back we came to the house. I called the vet, we gave him more pain meds and tubed him. Because my hubby goes into the hospital for surgery in the morning, the vet thought it was best for him to get his trailer and take him home, so he could watch him overnight and then take him to the clinic tomorrow.

I do not know what caused my boy to colic. He didn't get into anything un normal, and eats feed with his mother. One thing I may have done wrong, but may never know is used the wrong wormer too soon...I hope that is not the case, I feel aweful as it is...I will be warning others of this soon. I probably should have known, but I don't think I knew the why of things, well I am maybe learning the hard way. Keep us in prayer!

Are you taking this colt away from Mom when you take him home? This could be very stressful on him at an already stressful time. He needs his momma now.

What wormer did you use on him? I know a lot of people that use Ivermectin on the foals but I always start with Strongid first and dont use Ivermectin for a while. Dont beat yourself up over something already done.

If this continues you might try some gastroguard or at least some pro-bios to help his tummy handle the stress of this.

Keep us posted on your colt and your husband. I will be thinking of you all.

I was wondering the same thing as Annette.....Did the vet also take the mom?

(I hope so.)

MA

Just letting you know you and your foal & your husband are in my thoughts & I will say an extra prayer for you all........ hope things are looking brighter in the morning.

normally when a foal colics this young its hair ingested from the dam. Sending prayers!

Thank you all for your concern. I am finally home from the hospital. Things went well with hubby, but now we have to await results.

Trip and his Mother are still under vet care, but will be home late this afternoon. After he took them home last night he hasn't had to do anything except for check on them, so that is positive. I am so glad that things are looking better. I checked him a bit ago, he is feeling better, but not as chipper as usual. I know the vet gave some kind of enzyme or something to help with digestion. Thank you for all your kind thoughts...now, how do I keep him well?

Latest posts

Back