Cold weather learnings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Man has it been a tough one and just will not stop.....thought a few hints on how to survive this weather might help folks out...

What did I learn this year?

Yak Traxs are worth their weight in gold.....

Remove ice from frozen water buckets by letting them sit in my large heated water tanks for a couple minutes....

Silver Sulfadine works great on cracked/chapped fingers......

Once you remove that smaller chunk of ice from the bucket, leave it IN the heated tub to replenish water supply.

Disconnect all hoses.......drain and hang.....one less thing to void of ice.

Be VERY careful as you punch the stick, hammer, etc. into the ice to break it up. Many of those plastic tubs are brittle and will crack easily if hit with that projectile.

A wind break around your troughs/tubs will often help reduce the harder freeze. Those with very low, continual temps, not much of anything will help except a heater, as we all know.

Winter is hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned that when a snow storm is headed your way to get a full charge on the cell phone...before the electricity goes out. Also learned to know where the thingamajig is to charge the phone in the car before you need it and already have too much to be concerned with. I learned that sterno really stinks but will heat up a pan of soup! I learned that a radio is no good to me if it needs 8 size C batteries and I have every sort of batteries except what I need. After going 2 days without power I stopped by the gym after work to not work out but to shower and wash my hair. The power came on just as I pulled into my drive. Yippee, no more stumbling around the barn by flashlight! I learned to leave plenty of Chihuahua size blankets laying around since her very furry playmate likes to undress her of any sweater I put on her. Hope the power stays on so we can curl up on the couch later.

Cracked/chapped fingertips:

Bag Balm or (for extreme cases) Neosporin covered by a Band-Aid.

Not so cold here, but does hit freezing:

I drain hoses and then coil them up on the ground--on the assumption they'll get colder and "crack" hanging on the fence. (I only use the cheapest, ready-to-be-discarded hoses in the winter.)

What's a Yak Trax?

I have Muck boots; I'm loving them for winter.

I don't have this brand, but I'm pretty sure Yak Trax are clip on cleats for your shoes so you don't slip on the ice.

I learned not to fuss at MR.Overkill so much.I thought he was crazy when he wrapped almost all the hydrandts in foam insulation and put heat tapes on them.Not 1 frozen spot.We had water for all animals and even hauled water from the kennel faucet when our house water was down in sub zero temps due to pump issues.I learned to be SOOOO thankful for central heat and my nice warm house. I also learned that it is good to have plenty of bedding and feed for the animals since we have had several days when we could not get out our drive due to drifting of snow.

Any great ideas on moving large quantities of water after all your hydrants freeze??? Just got a Newfie...thinking I might have to get her trained to pull a sled!!

I save those big 2 1/2 gallon plastic cat litter jugs and use them to cart water to my pastures that are too far away to run a hose to. I like them because they have handled that make them easy to move and a lid to keep the water in the container and keep me dry. I use a hammer to break the ice on top of troughs and buckets and use a wire strainer to skim the ice out.

Yak Trax are priceless.

If you have to transport water, put garbage bags in the container and tie shut so the water doesn't slosh out. Figured this out when we had to transport water from the house to barn down a long hill.

Have lots of extra water buckets to replace the ones that do break.

Skip using the water hose and just water with buckets.

Pre-warm your gloves or mittens before you go outside.

Non horse related, but some features I love on my new truck. Remote start and heated seats which I've had before and will never do without again.

Thought it was silly, that heated steering wheel. OMG!!! I LOVE my heated steering wheel!

Draw water up before a storm and put in muck buckets so if electricity goes out you still have some water.We have a gas heater to keep pipes from freezing in our old milk house so that's where extra water is kept.I keep some all year if elec goes off in summer due to bad storms.

Don't run out of Hot Hands and toasty toes for boots.Did last year and by Feb all were gone in Walmart.Ordered online and got LOTS now.Cold feet and cold hands don't cut it for me.

Hauling water....blue rubbermaid garbage cans filled to the inside rim and then hauled on a poly chore sled. Pulls easy, and is very stable, and only slips if you run it into something, line a post. Of course you can put the lids on, but I never do. Works even without snow but you have to put in less water as it pulls heavy on bare ground.

Latest posts

Back