coconut classic in okeechobee, florida

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoaks

Reaction score
the coconut classic that was to be held in okeechobee, florida in august HAS BEEN CANCELLED due to lack of participation.
default_sad.png

but will resume in the future we are sory for any trouble this may cause
default_rolleyes.gif

twelveoaks

How can you cancel for lack of particiption when I just got my showbill today? How are we all going to finish qualifying when we were counting on this show????????

I also don't quite understand- Was it a lack of volunteer/member/judge support? It's darn near impossible to know a horse count, and this close to World's/Natl's-

I know it's put more then a few people in a tight spot!

we called our largest group that always suppot us the the count was way down . to make a show break even ( shows cost any where from 6,000-to 8,000

dollars to put on. we are NOT able at this time to handle a big loss. with the nationals a few weeks after the show some trainers did not want the extra stree on the horses before the long trip to nationals, their is also the price of fuel a lot of people was saving thier money for the nationals or world, and most

we talked to already had thier horses quailifed
default_wacko.png

we are sorry for the trouble that this may have caused

i know so many youths who are devastated that they can't go to this last show to qualify

our horses are already qualified but not all our kids are with the particular horses they're showing

its not fair to cancel so close to the show when there are no other options available

a month ago cancelation wouldn't have been a big deal, as there were still other horseshows
default_new_shocked.gif

its just not right, cancelling 2 weeks until the show when the show bill has already been mailed
default_no.gif

we have already paid national youth entries on horses we now can't take!!

6,000- 8,000 is high

CUT COSTS DON'T CANCEL THE SHOW!!!

hire local judges or have them volunteer their time

don't give ribbons, papers are fine

have a local 4h club clean up the show grounds instead of the regular crew

we called judy middleton who is the youth leader that supports out show and she said i was fine to cancel

we are open to any options to save money but again if you do not have the participation you can not have a good show with out some one ending up in debt

we are open to all suggestions on how to save money we have been having shows , 5 a year for the passed5-6 years i am not sure but any way for a while and going back for the last 3 years(when the amha said you did not have to qualified weanings) the august show has lost money

again we are sorry for any trouble this has caused
default_sad.png

we do need ways to make money and ways to save money and any ideas would be helpful

I am not sure where the information for Judy Middleton came from but I think a quote from Judy should come directly from Judy. I am a leader of Judy's youth 4H club and I know that we have AT LEAST 7 kids that need to qualify at least 10 horses to go to Nationals. We need the Okeechobee Show to do this. Also beyond these horses and kids, there are at least 10 more coming from Sarasota -Tampa Area to qualify horses. That is just horses right here - that I know of. That doesn't include trainers and other areas! I have also talked to another trainer that knows of 25 horses, in his count, that need to qualify.

We now have a lot of upset kids that won't be able to show at Nationals because of this!!

[SIZE=18pt]Part 11 – Cancellation of a Horse Show[/SIZE]

A. The ASPC/AMHR Show Manager may cancel a

sanctioned show by providing the ASPC/AMHR with

written notice of cancellation. If notice is received at

least 60 days prior to the first day of the show, 75% of

the fees shall be refunded. If less than a 60-day notice

is given, no refund will be allowed, and all fees paid

for the cancelled show shall be forfeited. If the

cancellation is due to severe weather or other acts of

natural disaster, the fees paid will be refunded to the

Show Manager, less a $20.00 office fee. Any other

dues, fees, fines, or indebtedness, owing to the

ASPC/AMHR is not affected by this provision.

B. An ASPC/AMHR Show Manager may be revoked by

the Board of Directors if such show fails to abide by

the Bylaws and rules of the ASPC/AMHR for holding

and conducting horse shows or without reasonable

cause, fails to hold its show(s) on the date(s) assigned

to it.

C. An Interruption of Show Procedure can cause the

cancellation of shows. In the event of a storm or other

emergency rendering the condition of the show

grounds unsafe for the holding of a horse show, the

judgment to cancel shall be between the show

committee and at least one National Director of the

ASPC/AMHR and/or the National Office. If cancelled,

the show committee must notify the exhibitors by

every means available; i.e. radio, televisi on, phone, in

person, and the like. The show should not be cancelled

unless it is impossible for horses or ponies to perform

safely.

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

When you needed money at the begining of the year you went down your list of members and called them one by one asking for the renewal fee and/or to sponser a class. I did both! No one called me before cancelling this show.

Your member counts are going to be way down as a result of this and a lot of us will not be returning to any of your future horse shows because of this cancellation.

i am the one that talked to judy herself and again this morning so that is what was told to me by herself maybe you should call her

the show has been cancelled and getting upset will not change any thing again we are sorry for this

default_unsure.png

Have you told AMHR yet that the show is cancelled? Because reading the rules that are posted above it seems like you can't just cancel a show??

i feel bad for the kids

i had 4 showing my lightening at nationals

they have shown him at 4h and local shows this year

my horse is qualified but the kids aren't qualified w him

we already sent in entries for nationals

the kids have bought plane tickets and outfits

how do you tell a 7 year old they can't show now?

i'm not sure what amhr can do?

That is my 7 year old that was suppose to show your Lightening!!

Not sure how I am gonna tell him... he is going to be very upset!!

My 10 year old was suppose to show him too!

They are all going to be very upset!

Plus 2 other kids we have to tell!!

We need to figure something out to get these kids qualified!!

can someone else sponsor or have the show?

can the facility or sponsoring club change but a show still go on?

this is in the defense of judy middleton who has started getting phone calls
default_wink.png

when i stated i had talked to judy about cancelling thshow and it was fine she was SPEAKING FOR HER GROUP ONLY

THEY HAVE SUPPORTED ALL OF OUR SHOWS and that was why she was called

i would think everyone who was mailed a show bill should have been contacted to judge participation

or at least the big trainers

i know of 1 trainer who spent at least $3000 on entry fees on the last ocachobee show

and yet noone asked him if it was ok to cancel!

i would think everyone who was mailed a show bill should have been contacted to judge participationor at least the big trainers

i know of 1 trainer who spent at least $3000 on entry fees on the last ocachobee show

and yet noone asked him if it was ok to cancel!

[SIZE=12pt]The handling of this whole situation has been a disaster...the results are devastating to not only the AMHR National Hopefuls, but the AMHA World Show Competitors as well. Youth, PMC, Amateur and the Pro's have all been affected...To say: "sorry for the inconvenience" or "getting upset will not change things" seems more insulting than apologetic.[/SIZE]

I contacted AMHR earlier this week when the possible cancle was first mentioned. I will be re-contacting Marilyn at AMHR office tomorrow morning and asking what can be done to assist at least the Youth. I will post their decision here...

In the mean time Roger Addis is doing his able best to have the already formed show moved to another location...If this becomes a reality, I will post that information here as well.

Good Luck to those who were able to qualify before this!!!

i am concerned with the kids who already sent in their applications to nationals

there is nothing worse than shattering the dreams of children

if roger needs help, please let me know

default_new_shocked.gif
donna lavery has contracted tony lopes and mr. lopes has agreed to have the show if we have over 120 horse (both days included) WE WILL HAVE THE SHOW so if you know how many horses each one can bring please let mr lopes know or donna lavery and we will have the show if we get

the horses we wil have the show so every one let us know you count so we will know if have to know by tuesday at the latest
default_wink.png

120 horses?! that seems absurd!

most of the amhr shows cannot pull 120 horses

only the big western shows have more than 120 horses

most florida amhr shows have 70 to 80 horses

you put on a coconut classic for only 24 horses in january and 67 in may

look at the numbers on the amhr website

Latest posts

Back