coconut classic in okeechobee, florida

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marilyn Gilchrist is the Show Manager.... If you have ANY questions about this show you should contact her ASAP!!

She will let you know exactly what is going on with the show.

I was told that the Club needs $4000 in donations to make this show a go. That is a lot to pull together in 2 weeks!!

I was also told the club had a choice to cancel the August show or October Show.....

Why didnt we know all this a month ago??

Now they say we won't know if the show is on or off until Monday....

And then..... I get an email saying the show is on!!

this is so confusing!!!! And very frustrating!!

i will say this one more time the person to make the decision for the show IS MR LOPES WHO IS PRESIDENT OF THE CLUB .

i tink that is about as plain as i can put it

our club is paying for it and it is OUR ecision if we have it and or not ONE ELSE CAN SAY IF IT IS ON OR OFF BUT MR LOPES.

AGAIN

twelveoaks

Don't you think it's ABOUT TIME SOMEONE MAKES A DECISION, whoever that may be?

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Gary Owen

i will say this one more time the person to make the decision for the show IS MR LOPES WHO IS PRESIDENT OF THE CLUB .i tink that is about as plain as i can put it

our club is paying for it and it is OUR ecision if we have it and or not ONE ELSE CAN SAY IF IT IS ON OR OFF BUT MR LOPES.

AGAIN

twelveoaks
The way you write things you must not want club members anymore. If I was part of your club I would not be anymore!!! Before you write stuff, Ms. Tyner, you should really think about why these people are writing this stuff!! They are not writing it just because they have nothing better to do, they are writing it because they are upset. The show is in less then 2 weeks and no decisions have been made. I understand Mr. Lopes is out of town but meanwhile all these people sit and wait!! That is ridiculous and horrible for any club to do to its members!

So many people count on shows before Nationals to qualify and get points. You can't just cancel!

And this waiting game seems like a way for Mr. Lopes to be in control of things, but meanwhile he is probably losing club members by the day! I understand from reading all the posts that money is an issue.... well how irresponsible was it for this club to let things get so bad. They should have been asking for donations and having fundraisers all year long so it wouldn't get this far. Maybe they need a new President for this club so that it is ran the correct way!

It should have never gotten to the point where a show had to be cancelled!!

I feel bad for the members, the kids and the parents. All these people have to suffer now because this club could not be ran correctly. And for all you Officers of this club.... all these nasty postings you are putting up here ( let me quote "our club is paying for it and it is OUR ecision if we have it and or not" ) I wish you luck with YOUR members after this is all said and done!!

Twelveoaks is just the messenger here. Let's not kill the messenger.
default_sad.png

Amanda

regardless of status of the poster-

there is certainly more polite and diplomatic language to use when playing messenger!

i think this show fiasco is going to be the death of this club

people want shows they can depend on

the way this is playing out will certainly turn people off

i will say this one more time the person to make the decision for the show IS MR LOPES WHO IS PRESIDENT OF THE CLUB .i tink that is about as plain as i can put it

AGAIN
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif

twelveoaks
The way you write things you must not want club members anymore. If I was part of your club I would not be anymore!!! Before you write stuff, Ms. Tyner, you should really think about why these people are writing this stuff!! They are not writing it just because they have nothing better to do, they are writing it because they are upset. The show is in less then 2 weeks and no decisions have been made. I understand Mr. Lopes is out of town but meanwhile all these people sit and wait!! That is ridiculous and horrible for any club to do to its members!

So many people count on shows before Nationals to qualify and get points. You can't just cancel!

And this waiting game seems like a way for Mr. Lopes to be in control of things, but meanwhile he is probably losing club members by the day! I understand from reading all the posts that money is an issue.... well how irresponsible was it for this club to let things get so bad. They should have been asking for donations and having fundraisers all year long so it wouldn't get this far. Maybe they need a new President for this club so that it is ran the correct way!

It should have never gotten to the point where a show had to be cancelled!!
default_frusty.gif

I feel bad for the members, the kids and the parents. All these people have to suffer now because this club could not be ran correctly. And for all you Officers of this club.... all these nasty postings you are putting up here ( let me quote "our club is paying for it and it is OUR ecision if we have it and or not" ) I wish you luck with YOUR members after this is all said and done!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

forgot to mention that i wholeheartedly agree

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not been online much the past several days, so am just now reading all this again and this has me so deeply perplexed and I'm not even a member of this club, nor have any youth involved. I do know though, that one of this club's founding members was a very dear friend of mine before she passed away, and in her love and honor I can only hope and pray this club will pull through this and thrive into a solid future as she once envisioned for it.
default_wub.png
I would like to offer my support by subscribing my membership into the coming renewal year, should there be one.
default_pray.gif

This year has been my very first year showing one of our horses in over 10 years, since way back when my son was still little. We were only able to attend 2 shows, one with our local club here, and the other was with this club down south there. It was such an honor to have been able to attend that show even with our one and only horse we had there for it. I saw only a small part of all that my friend always HOPED this club would become, and held such a warm feeling in my heart that she was there still in spirit of it all the whole time there. I do hope this club will pull through this, and will just grow to be all the better for it afterward when all can be worked out and with everyone who has poured their heart and soul into it, along with my friend's since this club's conception, that all can be looking ahead together in continued friendship and comraderie (sp?) for it all. I hold in prayerful hope for this club's future.
default_wub.png
Please let me know how can I help?

I understand Tony Lopes, President of MHCSF, was to return Monday August 4th with a final answer as to the status of the Coconut Classics on August 16th & 17th. Has anyone heard a final decision on this?

If it is truly canceled then many people need to hustle with plans to attend a show out of state in order to get their horses, kids, self qualified for Nationals. (The closest show prior to Nationals is this weekend out of state).

A final answer on this site would be appreciated ASAP.

Has anyone called Marilyn Gilchrist today? She is the listed show manager...

August 17, 2008

MHCSF August Show

Okeechobee Agri-Civic Center, Okeechobee FL

Marilyn Gilchrist/352.694.2337

917 NE 40th Ave, Ocala FL 34470

A definite decision has not yet been made. We are still trying to get a correct horse count. Donna Lavery and Roger Addis as well as others have been working very hard to try and figure the number of horses that are committed to come. The club more than anything wants to put on the show and we are definately not trying to upset or hurt anyone. We originally made the decision to cancel the show because of the likelihood of a financial loss. But Donna and Roger were very insistant that we give them the opportunity to approach people in an attempt to see who would commit to come. We are trying to get a final head count by tomorrow and the officers of the club will make the final decision.

Please if you are planning to come, now is the time to contact Donna, Roger, myself or any other club officer, and let us know the number of horses you are planning to bring. We will update you tomorrow.

Thank you for your understanding.

Tony Lopes,

President MHCSF

561-307-0707

[email protected]

Tony Lopes

Dear Mr. Lopes,

Thank you very much for your personal reply, it is much appreciated.

What I would like to know, is if this shows rise or fall is based primarly on the actual head count of horses, classes entered, or total monies obtained including funds from "sponsorships"/donations?

If sponsorship/donations are what make or break this show, is it possible for others, who may not even be attending this show, to influence the outcome by showing their support with any form of financial gift they may be able to make?

If so, please respond with contact information, names & phone numbers for those in our extended miniature horse family, who might find it in their heart to help, so that many of us can get to Nationals.

Hopfully this is approved and can work, regardless, I thank you all in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Thunderhead Ranch

Tony posted his name, phone number and email address right in his post and said for people to contact him, so have them contact him directly.

Tony posted his name, phone number and email address right in his post and said for people to contact him, so have them contact him directly.
Minimom,

You are correct, Tony sure did leave his phone number. It was late for me and I overlooked that, I think my mind was on the names he posted, Donna and Roger.

Although Mr. Lopes did mention "horse count", I would still like to know the exact way the club is calculating if the show is on... horse count; class entries; total monies received? If the club would accept possible donations from others, and this could make the show happen, then getting the word out so others know they could help would be extremely beneficial.

Thank you again for correcting me,

Sincerely,

Thunderhead Ranch

default_no.gif
Hello there, Are we all sitting and waiting till its to late to go out of state to get to another show or just to say well i will see u all next year.... this is totally NUTS
default_wacko.png
As we all lose out are entries to A>M>H>R> because u know they will not refund the monies.. we just suffer and take a loss, i know i will not be going to be a member of that club any more whats the since...
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I know this is none of my business, I dont live in FL and I don't show AMHR. But seems to me not becoming a member is what the problem is with this club. Instead of raking them over the coals because the club doesn't have the money to put on a show, why not take this opportunity to figure out how to make improvements. What can everyone that needs this show, or doesnt' need it but wants to show, what can you do to make sure this doesn't happen again? Don't say things in anger, talk to each other and make a plan. If you want this club to survive, make it work. Don't wait for someone else to do the work, ask what you can do to help. Just as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes more than one member to make a club.

Looking over all these posts I have a suggestion for Mr Lopes and the club. You should have your show in August and help your members out and cancel your October show. This way you can save money in October and still have members next year.

Well this mess has been eye opening and I know where I will NOT be showing next summer. I wouldn't take a "gamble" chance at a show still going on. I am so very sorry for all of the people that won't get a chance to show.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back