coconut classic in okeechobee, florida

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6000-8000 for a show? where do you have it ?? the Trump Towers.

Here is our last show and one we just had yesterday-

it is a one day show!!!

Maybe 35 horses

50 flat fee to show all day or 15 a class

donated outside arena- its a hot one.....

Judge one- fee 350, mileage 361, room 67

judge two- 300

show steward- fee 100, room 2 nights 145, mileage 479

announcer- fee 100

show manager- fee 100

drink/food gate man&judges- 55

ring steward- fee 100

ribbon person- fee 100

gas/ trailer to show- 80

batteries- 10

ribbons- 76

walkie talkies 86

show expenses 2605

show income 2175

loss 430

so yeah, we did not make a profit, but 6000-8000- we did not lose! we had a horse show, not a beauty pagent.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand canceling your show, from the AMHR numbers I don't see how you guys can keep putting one on. Everyone complains about not having enough shows to go to, but you guys down there have plenty and still wait until the last minute to qualify? There have been 5 shows in FL already and your waiting until the last show before Nationals to qualify. Maybe you should support the shows better and go to more of them. Just check the listings on AMHR show results, you had two shows with less than 30 entries, and you wonder why they are canceling?

$6,000 = $8,000???? What the heck? I put a wedding and shower on for 375 people with a 3 meat full meal, including dresses for $7,000.

Now multiple your figures for a two or three day show with three judges and having to pay for an arena? It cost alot of money to put on a show, especially a show that is mulitple days. The arena we use for our club show once a year is $1000 a day, some are more than that. And what would your loss have been had it rained and half of your 35 horses didn't show up?

so you need 120 classes entered over 2 days regardless of how many horses make up that 120 entries?

i feel bad for the kidsi had 4 showing my lightening at nationals

they have shown him at 4h and local shows this year

my horse is qualified but the kids aren't qualified w him

we already sent in entries for nationals

the kids have bought plane tickets and outfits

how do you tell a 7 year old they can't show now?

i'm not sure what amhr can do?
EDITED TO ADD: I'm so sorry, I'm rereading all this, and see now that it's the "children" that needed to qualify and not their horses? Ok, I misunderstood, I'm sorry. Please let me know still though, if we can help somehow?

Pat-

I'd be there - only one horse, but 2-3 classes if that helps. I'll talk to Kristy - she was going to come too, also Candice in Lake Placid I think.

Barbie

[SIZE=12pt]It isn't the fact that the show was cancled that bothers people, but the how, when and manner of reasoning behind it... With a little advance notice folks could have traveled out of state, but canceling the day after the schedule was recieved in the mail? This late in the season? Puts people in a real bad mood...especially if their fees have already been mailed in to AMHR for a Nationals...
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

Economy being as it is, many people pick and choose which horse goes to what show, dividing them amung the posted shows, in order to not "lose the farm" in the process... Attendance has been low this year and the million dollar question seems to be: How do we change this? More shows, less shows, better incentives, change of venue, ect...
default_unsure.png

It seems they are working out a system to make this show happen, but I imagine this incident will change the way folks manage their show string next season...
default_wink.png

After reading all the comments posted on the show cancellation, I would like to present to you the facts of our situation. We were getting feedback from many of the people that are regular exhibitors at our show that they would not be able to attend or would be bringing a limited number of horses. Our overhead is high because we are in an extremely nice facility. Due to the weather here in Florida and especially in mid-August, it is a necessity to have the show in a covered arena.

We wish that some of the people that are complaining on this forum had attended one of our past shows. Our club is not in a position to suffer another loss as we did in January when we had only 18 horses at our show (5 of which were mine). By the way, the herpes virus was in January of 2007.

If we can get enough commitment for this August show, we will go ahead and have it. We need to have a total of 120 horses between the AMHR show on Saturday and the AMHA show on Sunday. And we need to know how many classes that horse will go in. We need to hear from you if you are committed to go and let us know how many horses you will be showing at the AMHR show and how many at the AMHA show. A decision will be made within the next couple of days. If we feel that we will suffer a loss and be unable to pay the overhead, we will not be having the show.

Please remember that all the officers and directors of the MHCSF, as in any club, are volunteers. We have all donated a vast amount of our personal time and efforts to keep this club going and put on these shows. I think it is unreasonable for anyone to demand that we put on a show when there is a good possiblity that we would have a loss. Who do you think is responsible for this loss? The officers and directors - and none of us want to be in that position. This could destroy our club. We have to run this club as a business and not off sheer emotion.

It is a shame that you waited to the last minute to qualify these children. The nationals and world shows are very prestigious events and you would think you would want your child to compete at every show possible to give them the experience to compete at that level. I guess everyone does it there own way.

So right now, what everyone needs to do, is to contact my husband Tony Lopes - President, and give him a count on of the horses you would plan to bring and the number of classes they will be in. You can contact Tony at 561-307-0707 or email the club at [email protected]. All responses need to be in by Tuesday July 29th.

Hopefully we can pull this off.

Nancy Lopes

Treasurer

Miniature Horse Club of South Florida

Well said Nancy. thank you for giving us the correct story. I remember twice now that you and Tony have put forward your own money to help this club pay for shows. You should NOT have to do that again. You, Tony and the rest of our Board work very hard.

I agree that if people want this show to happen they have to step up and let people know by committing to attending. We are fortunate to have so many wonderful members who have supported all of our shows and events and we need their help again this time.

I lend my voice to yours, Nancy, to encourage those who want this show to go on, to please speak up with your committment to bring horses and enter lots of classes. For those in the Northern part of Florida, this is your last chance to get points. If you haven't attended our shows in the last year please come to this show.

Linda Kern

one of the

MHCSF Directors

We have five shows a year and five meetings a year. Every meeting and every newsletter we ask for new ideas to come from our members. The same group shows up every meeting. If anyone has a disagreement to how things are done, needs to attend the meetings at the Golden Corral, have breakfast, get to know your fellow members and come and voice your opinions where they will do the most good---at the meetings. Many hands make light work is what my father always said, so please come and be part of the solution. You will be surprised how open the meetings are to new ideas.

I sure hope that everyone will come and support this club so the show can be held. I have been sending my halter stallion Banker to almost every show down there. If this last show does happen I will have horses entered and I will finally be able to attend as foaling season is finally done for me. My horses are already all qualified but will be happy for the practice.

Just a suggestion on reducing costs and increasing attendence-- Change show venue a more centrally located area of Fl. As u have seen with rising costs of gas and everything else, u are getting almost no out of state training centers coming down there. I can see why. I live in central Fl. and its a 5-6 hour drive just to get to your show. Any one in N. Fl. or out of state have a full days drive just to get there! And I know the costs of arena rental and everything else are sky high in S. Fl. If u moved the show to central fl or even N. Fl. you would have LOTS more people and I would imagine more big training centers that would come. I would guarantee there are plenty of show sites north of you that would cost Waaaaay less than u are paying. Most of us are not rich and expenses do matter.

Also there are a bunch of judges that live in Fl. and if the club is close to going under then its time to just use local lower priced judges. In order to save this club people had better not get picky on who is judging at this point. Also other fl. clubs give out, instead of ribbons, coupons for $1 off items from a local mini horse tack vendor that comes to the shows. They only give ribbons for champion classes and everyone is fine with that. Those are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head. Good luck we are rooting for u!!!

Ruth and I are relative newcomers to showing mini horses, but we have attended almost all of the Okeechobee shows in the three years we have had horses, usually bringing four horses to the shows. I agree the Okeechobee complex is very nice and is a great facility for a show. However, if one has to have a hugh amount of horses to make ends meet then other arrangements might have to be made. I drove in the last two classes of the day at the May show and did not enter the ring for the last two classes until almost 11:00 PM. Soooooooo, if you must have more horses in attendance at the shows what is the plan, show throughout the night to complete the "R" show. As of late we have not shown the "A" show on Sunday because of the 5 hour drive to get home, since we both work full time jobs. I guess my point is this. If it is not financially viable to hold a show when there is enough classes that it takes well into the night to complete, then how can more horses be the solution. This is not Nationals where classes often go late into the night. It might make sense to reduce costs instead of hoping that more horses and classes will make the shows profitable. Ruth and I wish nothing but good luck and success to the MHCSF. See you all in Okeechobee in a few weeks, hopefully.

Gary

After reading all the comments posted on the show cancellation, I would like to present to you the facts of our situation. We were getting feedback from many of the people that are regular exhibitors at our show that they would not be able to attend or would be bringing a limited number of horses. Our overhead is high because we are in an extremely nice facility. Due to the weather here in Florida and especially in mid-August, it is a necessity to have the show in a covered arena.
We wish that some of the people that are complaining on this forum had attended one of our past shows. Our club is not in a position to suffer another loss as we did in January when we had only 18 horses at our show (5 of which were mine). By the way, the herpes virus was in January of 2007.

If we can get enough commitment for this August show, we will go ahead and have it. We need to have a total of 120 horses between the AMHR show on Saturday and the AMHA show on Sunday. And we need to know how many classes that horse will go in. We need to hear from you if you are committed to go and let us know how many horses you will be showing at the AMHR show and how many at the AMHA show. A decision will be made within the next couple of days. If we feel that we will suffer a loss and be unable to pay the overhead, we will not be having the show.

Please remember that all the officers and directors of the MHCSF, as in any club, are volunteers. We have all donated a vast amount of our personal time and efforts to keep this club going and put on these shows. I think it is unreasonable for anyone to demand that we put on a show when there is a good possiblity that we would have a loss. Who do you think is responsible for this loss? The officers and directors - and none of us want to be in that position. This could destroy our club. We have to run this club as a business and not off sheer emotion.

It is a shame that you waited to the last minute to qualify these children. The nationals and world shows are very prestigious events and you would think you would want your child to compete at every show possible to give them the experience to compete at that level. I guess everyone does it there own way.

So right now, what everyone needs to do, is to contact my husband Tony Lopes - President, and give him a count on of the horses you would plan to bring and the number of classes they will be in. You can contact Tony at 561-307-0707 or email the club at [email protected]. All responses need to be in by Tuesday July 29th.

Hopefully we can pull this off.

Nancy Lopes

Treasurer

Miniature Horse Club of South Florida

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I have 2 of those children that still have to qualify horses and my friend has 1 also and there is good reason why they have not qualified them yet.....[/SIZE]First let me say we attend all your shows and have for the last few years.

The reason these children still have horses to qualify is because two of the horses were not available until this show for the children to qualify. They have worked with these horses enough at 4H shows and at home [SIZE=14pt] to be shown at National Level. [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Another reason they have horses to still qualify is because unfortunatley with the way the economy is we have to pick and choose which horses we take to shows. Again, this doesn't mean they don't work with these horses. They work with all the horses they show and they put a lot of time into them, which makes it even worse when we have to tell them they can't show these horses at Nationals because of a show being cancelled.[/SIZE]

We have been members of your club for a few years and we have supported the club many times at horse shows and thru 4H events and clinics. If we would have been asked to do extra for this show, like sponser a class or two, we would have. We all know that times are tough right now. Instead we had to hear through the grapevine that the show was cancelled. Of course we were upset - we had kids to qualify!

We will do what we need to so that this show does not get cancelled, so that our kids can qualify their horses and go to Nationals. Something they have been working very hard for all year long!

I am also very thankful to everyone who is helping to pull this show together!!

I think it is Wonderful that so many people are pulling together to try and make this show work.

I haven't shown much at All this year thanks to family and other obligations with my big horses- However I am happy to pull all three of my current show horses to the show and bring several youth (and what will be New members) to the show to enjoy and help out the finances. Donna was kind enough to call and include us in and I spoke to Roger earlier as well.

Yay for everyone trying to pull it together!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Come on folks we can do this!
default_wub.png

why is it that the fl people wait until the last show to get their horses ready for the nationals. yes it is hotter then heck in TX just like it is in fl in august. i have a child that shows too. i would not wait for the last show to get a horse qualify for the nationals. FL has just as much or not more shows then we do here in TX so there is NO REASON TO WAIT.

Has this club contacted the AMHR and AMHA to see that they have to say. because of last night this show is still pending with the AMHR. why is the show manger waiting so long to get this show approved?

has the contracts been sent out to the judges and the steward. if they have booked plane tickets they are still got to be paid for their tickets. i can see if they will be driving then this clubs has not a thing to be bothered with. have this club thought about that. either way they should be paid for something.

i can see this club not wanting to pull money out of their pockets to fund a show. does this club use local judges and a local steward? if not there is some of your problems right there.

could it be the show manger is not doing his or her job on getting the people to come to your shows. I would think about getting a new show manger. to see what they can do to up a show. they are several show manger that bring their crew with that said what i mean is they have there steward and the ring crew and the others. and the show runs great. so that show manger can give this club one flat rate what it will cost to you.

i would hate to wait until the last to see if this will be approved to see if i will come to it or not. i would go to some other show.

could it be the show manger have they peeved people off in the past is that the reason that show has a low turn out. just a few things to things about.

i do hope and pray that this club can pull this off.

My suggestion is that next year don't have 5 shows. have 3 or even 2. Separate the AMHR and AMHA if the classes are going too late into the evening.

Sponsorships are a great idea as someone mentioned. Make sure it's fun to come to your shows. Have fun things for the kids - fun classes, games, little trinkets.

Make it easy to work with the office and stabling. (not saying that you don't, just offering suggestions from the other end of the country). A friend of mine went to a show a few hours away that folks said was just great. Hated it. Nobody in the office on Friday, no accomodation for bad weather. She won't go back.

Latest posts

Back