Cocoa - Koora Filly - WARNING - Picture overload! Page 36

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade10

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a buckskin miniature mare who is between 282-291 days pregnant, it will be her fourth foal. She wasnt supposed to be having another baby but my stallion (now a gelding) broke through the fence and took matters into his own hands.

Her first two foals that she had were to a black stallion and everything went absolutely perfectly. But her last foal was to a chestnut tobiano stallion and it was a little bit premy and was born in the middle of the day with no warnings and unfortunately didnt get out of the bag
default_sad.png
i was devastated. So im quite a bit nervous (but also very excited) about this one.

Im now getting a bit worried because when i went out to today her belly appears very pointed and looks as if it has dropped and i think its too early. So i thought i would start a topic and you could all help me out and let me know what you think
default_smile.png

At the moment she has no udder but with the last foal she didnt have one either.

(please excuse the halter i was in a bit of a hurry this afternoon) I can upload udder and hoohah photos to.

The first photo was taken 10 days ago
IMG-20120814-00023.jpg

The following photos where taken today
IMG-20120824-00035.jpg
IMG-20120824-00037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome
default_smile.png

Looks like bubs has shifted but nothing to worry about, looks like bubs is still sitting well up and isn't thinking of leaving yet.

Each mare carries a bit differently but the point you are waiting for will be much more central. I think Diane/Castle Rock has some really good V pics, maybe she'll share.

Ok good thankyou, thats a relief
default_smile.png
I do have a picture of her 'V' last time about a week before she foaled but its on my work computer so i cant compare it until tomorrow. But i feel better now
default_smile.png

I love those pics of yours Diane!!

Hello Jade and welcome - you are in the right place to share your 'waiting time' with a friendly crowd of mare watchers. Glad to have you join us.
default_yes.gif

I think your pretty little girl looks a bit low/full in the tummy because she has had foals before when comprared with a maiden mare.

Keep the pictures coming for us - we love pictures including those of your other animals and family. Good luck with the foaling, I'm sure you will soon have a healthy little one to play with!

Thankyou for sharing those pictures it makes me feel a whole lot better
default_smile.png

The daddy was a birthday present from my brother who we thought was a gelding, he was three when we got him. And you couldnt get near him as he had just been left in a paddock with a bunch of other minis with no human interaction at all. He was pretty much wild. After a lot of handling and TLC he is now a little angel
default_smile.png
Anyway one day when i woke up i looked out my window and he was chasing my mare around the paddock. When i went down to check him i realised he had two extra bits thats were not there originally haha

How do you attach an image when you reply, the only option i can see is a url?

When you have the "reply to this topic" box look below and you will see two buttons. One says "post" the other says "more reply options."

Click on "more reply options" this will take you to a new page and will copy over anythign you have already written.

Below you will see "attache files" click on "browse" and then go through your computer folders until you find the image you want. click on "attach this file"

When it loads the image you'll see it as a small image, you can then click "add to post" to put it into the body of your post.

Hope that helps!
default_smile.png

Thankyou that helped a lot
default_smile.png

This is Amigo (daddy to be), he absolutely loves his ball and throws it around and lays on it and carrys on its soo funny.

Amigo.jpg

Amigo 2.jpg

I keep meaning to get one of those to see what some of mine think of it!

So mum is a buckskin, Dad looks like a chetsnut tobiano, probably with something else in the mix to get that face marking so your colours are....

14.58% - Buckskin Tobiano

14.58% - Buckskin

14.58% - Bay Tobiano

14.58% - Bay

8.33% - Palomino Tobiano

8.33% - Palomino

8.33% - Chestnut Tobiano

8.33% - Chestnut

2.08% - Smoky Black Tobiano

2.08% - Smoky Black

2.08% - Black Tobiano

2.08% - Black

or if it makes more sense

50% chance dad will pass on his pinto gene

50% chance mum will pass on her dilute

60% (rounded up) chance of a bay based foal (bay or buckskin)

34% (rounded) chance of a red based foal (chestnut or pali)

8% (rounded) of a black based foal (black or smokey black)

I think that last foal was a smoky black tobiano, i have pictures of him if yous want to see him?

is it possible he could have roan as well? Because on his back spread throughout the chestnut are white hairs but there not on his face. If you look closely at the picture with the ball you can kind of see the hairs on his side.

My other minis dont like the ball theyre scared of it but he loved it right from the start

And Cocoas belly is look a lot more rounded again this morning
default_smile.png

Hi and Welcome
default_smile.png

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, hey your from Australi! awesome! which part are you from? Bree is from Victoria I'm from NSW and Bellah32 is from Tazzy! glad to have another Aussie on board!!

your little girl is gorgeous!! I love the buckskins! and Daddy is sooo handsome! I bet your excited for this baby!

she is looking good to me, and I think is right on track with her due dates
default_smile.png

have you got marestare? or a foaling alarm for her?

welcome to the nursery! Hope you'll stick around
default_smile.png

I from NSW western syndeyish
default_smile.png
Im very excited but also a bit nervous. Unfortunately i dont have marestare but tomorrow im going to set up my camera but i cannot put it online
default_sad.png

Ive spoken to i think 'foal guard' i cant remember the name at the moment and am hiring an alarm from them, but i dont get that until later on as i didnt think i would need it for a while.

He won't be roan, he'd be a lot more faded if he was. The white hairs can appear on some tobianos, my Tinker has them in a few spots, and they can also be cause by sabino.

Would love to see his other foal, is he still a stallion or is he gelded now?

Hes gelded as i dont really need a stallion and hes not really stallion material, even though i still think hes just the cutest
default_smile.png

It is the foal that died but the photo isnt bad?

Might be hard to tell colour from a foal that early, a lot of blacks have s silver sheen to them that vanishes with age to a true black. The mare would also have to be a dilute to pass on the cream gene for it to be a smokey black if that helps
default_smile.png

Yeah thats why i was unsure of his colour as his hair wasnt very long. You cant see in this picture but the top of his tail going a little onto his bottom was a white marking but other than his feet that was the only bit of white.

2011-10-26 17.07.34.jpg

If anyone feels uncomfortable i can remove the picture

Poor little darling, I'm ok with it. Do you know why he didn't make it? Was he very early? Just guessing as his coat is very short. I'd hazard a guess as black, maybe minimal tobiano.

He was born in the middle of the day and i wasnt ready for him as id been checking cocoa every morning and night for signs and she hadnt shown any, no udder at all even after he was born. When i got home that day i found him and he was still in the sac, Cocoa was devastated. So im definitely keeping an extra close eye on her this time

I'd guess he was an early little thing, the lack of warning signs from Cocoa and the lack of hair. Not that it makes it any easier when you lose them and the mares reactions just cut you to the core
default_sad.png

How comfortable is Cocoa with you handling her udder? If you start having a good feel now you should be able to detect changes you can't see, mostly temperature and hardness. Lift her tail and give her rump a massage so she realises not to clench up when you check like that. Try and photograph her daily from the side and back, remembering to take the photo level with her, and you can do the same with the udder so you can track visual changes.

I feel her udder every morning she's fine with it occassionaly she will kick out a little but she only does one and then she's fine. I just started with the udder photos yesterday and have been taking side and back photos once to twice a week but I shall increase
default_smile.png

I reckon this is the best time to improve udder skills, they aren't as sensitive as when it's full! It's not urgetn to do daily photos at the moment but if it helps your peace of mind. You should see all the photos I took with my first mare
default_new_rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back