Coat color or markings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
I was looking at some minihorse images here and in Google Images and was wondering, are some coat colors more valued than others? Or types of markings on the coats?

Like are there Palamino colored mini’s and would that be more valuable and create a higher price to acquire?

Yes, and no. It often depends on your location, it seems some colors or patterns are more sought after in certain regions than others. and, with minis, almost any color and pattern in the equine world is available, and they like to stack the deck like no other.

Hmm, interesting. How would one "stack the deck".

Hmm, interesting. How would one "stack the deck".
Since, just about any color is possible in minis, you get interesting combinations. Like silver buckskin, so bay plus cream plus silver (silver isn't in all breeds, and neither is cream). Same with champagne, you could conceivably have a silver amber champagne (if I recall correctly that would be bay with silver and champagne) or you could add cream to that and I think that could be a silver cream amber champagne (not up on all the champagne names).

"A good horse is any color"
:)

I think color and value can be subjective. What one person enjoys and breeds for is not always desirable to someone else. So someone might pay much more money for specific color where another person may be lukewarm on that color. Luckily with minis there seems to be a choice for everyone.

Since, just about any color is possible in minis, you get interesting combinations. Like silver buckskin, so bay plus cream plus silver (silver isn't in all breeds, and neither is cream). Same with champagne, you could conceivably have a silver amber champagne (if I recall correctly that would be bay with silver and champagne) or you could add cream to that and I think that could be a silver cream amber champagne (not up on all the champagne names).

That sounds almost like cooking or artistic paint color blending. The horse you describe in your example would be so pretty. I'd love to see one like it.

That sounds almost like cooking or artistic paint color blending. The horse you describe in your example would be so pretty. I'd love to see one like it.

I have two silver buckskins and they are different in shade, but part of that is age, the stallion is mature and the filly quite young. They tend to darken some with age.

Attachments

• Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left.jpg
    Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Bliss - Oct 12, 2017 - looking at Sophia.jpg
    Bliss - Oct 12, 2017 - looking at Sophia.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back